Question for you police officers?

nxtnlne

I was recently in court for a traffic violation (of which I was innocent :jester: ) and I was wondering about the cops that appear. Do they get paid extra for there time at court, or maybe the day off or what? Does the department push for them to appear, whats the low down. :dunno:. He didnt show and it was Dismissed. :flag:

Edited by nxtnlne (see edit history)

Our officers are required to appear and they get paid overtime if the court time falls on their off duty hours.

:withstupid:

That is true ... But for our Motor Vehicle stuff, our department has a "Court Officer". He is allowed by the court to go "Argue the Case" on your behalf. So basically, I have to show up, unless it is something the court officer can do for me. This is due to "The knowledge of One, is the Knowledge of all" doctrine.

Plus ... If I do show up ... It's a 3 hr. Minimum of OT. :thumbs:

Our officers are required to appear and they get paid overtime if the court time falls on their off duty hours.

That is true ... But for our Motor Vehicle stuff, our department has a "Court Officer". He is allowed by the court to go "Argue the Case" on your behalf. So basically, I have to show up, unless it is something the court officer can do for me. This is due to "The knowledge of One, is the Knowledge of all" doctrine.

Same here. :thumbs:

most of the cities and towns around here are the same way. there's this one cop in Burlington, MA that is known by all the cops in the surrounding towns. he worked a Verizon detail and being the nice guys that they were, cut him loose early and gave him 8 hours OT (anything over 4 hours is 8 hours OT. its an automatic 4 for the detail to be there). since he only worked 2 hours, and knowing he had a court appearance that afternoon, he got greedy and went to court. 4 more hours OT. the problem was, the Chief saw the time sheets and wondered "how in hell did he get an 8 hour detail AND appear in court at the same time??"

a whole shitstorm followed. the Verizon guys were suspended indefinitely and he was suspended, lost his SGT stripes (which he won back) and all other Verizon guys were watched by corporate security for when we signed our details off.

anytime this comes up, regardless of what town I'm working in, the detail knows him and calls him an F'n idiot. he goes as far as calling nearby towns if he doesn't get a detail in his, to see if they have work. which he can't do.

just wanted to share for the boys in blue

most of the cities and towns around here are the same way. there's this one cop in Burlington, MA that is known by all the cops in the surrounding towns. he worked a Verizon detail and being the nice guys that they were, cut him loose early and gave him 8 hours OT (anything over 4 hours is 8 hours OT. its an automatic 4 for the detail to be there). since he only worked 2 hours, and knowing he had a court appearance that afternoon, he got greedy and went to court. 4 more hours OT. the problem was, the Chief saw the time sheets and wondered "how in hell did he get an 8 hour detail AND appear in court at the same time??"

a whole shitstorm followed. the Verizon guys were suspended indefinitely and he was suspended, lost his SGT stripes (which he won back) and all other Verizon guys were watched by corporate security for when we signed our details off.

anytime this comes up, regardless of what town I'm working in, the detail knows him and calls him an F'n idiot. he goes as far as calling nearby towns if he doesn't get a detail in his, to see if they have work. which he can't do.

just wanted to share for the boys in blue

Yeah ... We had that class at the Academy ... It's a "Kinda" important one, Hmmmm, what was it called??? Hmmmmm .... Oh Yeah ... Ethics and Integrity .... :D

Hey ... I'll be the first one to admit, that the Greedy one kills it for the rest of us!!!! If I have a detail, and they don't show, Yeah it's a 4 hr. minimum, but we have to stay on post for the entire 4 hrs, just incase they show up.

He would have been good if he put down his actual time or skip the Court time too.

But I have to agree ... The Verizon and National Grid boys are the Bomb, when it comes to details!!!! :thumbs: