Motor

forty4prid

:dunno: I have read about the different LS motors & LQ motors. I guess we have the LQ9 and the TBSS has the LS8 motor. Why and what is the difference besides the horses?

Maybe a dumb question but i really want to know. And our 6.0 is a LQ9, right?

ls8 is the new gen 6.2l engine. tbss has the ls2 unless they are changing in 08? we do have the lq9.

I had stopped and looked at the new TBSS and got a book as well. It says LS8 w/390 horses. After reading and looking on this site for awhile it almost seems :chevy: gave our trucks a short comeing. I do love my truck and will never get rid of it. Hell some of u guys might lable her a garage queen.

So will a tune bging the heart of the motor out to smell the air? I am getting forced air for it and have done the exhaust. Just trying to figure out the LQ9.

Thanx guys :thumbs:

6.0L LS2 Small Block V8

TrailBlazer SS redefines the “sport” in Sport Utility Vehicle with a Corvette-based 6.0L LS2 small block V8. It generates 395 horsepower and 400 lb.-ft. of torque, taking TrailBlazer from zero to 60 in under six seconds. Based on GM testing.

Here's the straight scoop.

LSx engines are all aluminum blocks and aluminum heads. They also have the LSx manifolds built for upper RPM horsepower. The Truck series or LQ9's etc like the 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L etc. Are iron blocks, but are of the same dimensions as the LSx series motors. This means that LSx heads will swap between motors if you wanted to, as will camshafts. Pistons and rods, not so easily because some of the differnet engines have different bore sizes, but you get the concept. The truck engines have a different intake designed for lower end torque and fuel economy. Looking at the two, you can tell the difference. And these are not easily interchangable because the LSx motors and truck motors have different accesory mounting places. An LSx motor on a truck requires a puley to be relocated and the water pump neck relocated. You can't simply just add a LSx water pump to a truck engine either because the water pump pulley will not line up with the other acessory pullies. Now, if you find a cheap set of ported LSx heads, they will fit, just might raise compression and have to know if they are actually an upgrade.

:dunno: I have read about the different LS motors & LQ motors. I guess we have the LQ9 and the TBSS has the LS8 motor. Why and what is the difference besides the horses?

Someone already wrote a couple primers on Wikipedia: GM LS Engine Series, GM Vortec Engines

The TBSS has the LS2 motor, Silverados are fit with the Vortec line of V6 & V8 engines almost all of which are built on an iron block. I've never heard of a LQ8 motor. :dunno:

The LQ9 and LS2 engine blocks were developed at roughly the same time and they are dimensionally similar however the LQ9 block is iron and decended from the 5.3L iron block, and the LS2 block is aluminum decended from the LS6 aluminum block. The LS2 block weighs about 70-lbs less but the LQ9 block is both stronger and less likely to dimensionally shift with age. There are also a few other differences which are minor.

The LQ9 and LS2 have the same crankshaft stroke (3.622" inherited from LS1) but the LS2 uses a 58-tooth crank trigger and new crank sensor, PCM, and programming; the LQ9 inherits the LS1 24-tooth crank trigger. The 24-tooth reluctor engines (LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4, C5-R, etc) are called "Gen-3" motors, the newest 58-tooth reluctor engines (LS2, LS7, C6-R, etc) are known as "Gen-IV" motors. The crank and cam sensors are also located in different places on the Gen-3 vs. Gen-4 motors.

All Gen-3 & Gen-4 motors use aluminum heads; port designs have matured over the years (later heads perform better than earlier ones). I am not up to speed on the history of late GM cylinder head development, other than to know the LQ9/LQ4 heads (casting #317) are very similar in port configuration and performance of the LS2 head, and these are much more desirable than the original LS1/LS6 heads. But the new heads used on the L98 motor are going to be fantastic pieces...

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Sorry guys, in my rush of life i was talking of the LS2 motor not the LS8. :crazy: Also i wanted to thanx Mr. P for the info. I was just curious in to what was so different.

So there r ways to pull more horses out of there. But is there is there a way of doing it(not as many as a SC or head change) without breaking the bank? :banghead:

You can blow alot of money on go slow or go fast parts, being smart about it is the key. For example, you can blow $350 on a MAF, $1,000 on headers, another $500 on exhaust, $200 on cold air induction, $100 on plugs/wires, $300+ on a handheld programmer, etc...and virtually gain nothing but maybe .5 sec. in the 1/4 (if your lucky). That's $2,450 on average, you could argue a little lower or little higher for prices on certain brands etc. With that being said, you could spend about $1,500 on a good set of Dart Heads and $400 for a cam (including springs, etc.), Spend about about $1,000 on tuning and install and pick probably more than a full second in the 1/4. Add a torque converter and you could gain another .2-.5. Ont he flip side, you could buy an inexpensive blower (not the best, but inexpensive) like a powerdyne off of ebay or a used whipple for probably well under $3,000 + a tune, install it yourself (usually easier and less involved than a head/cam swap), and pick up about 1.0-1.5 seconds as well. Again, the key is being smart. You can go fast for less and dont have to spend $10k like some of us will. Or you can do the slow supporting mods first, like I did and then get the blower on. I added headers, cai, tune, converter, efans, exhaust, etc. and would expect a 14.4 or so in the 1/4, but would be thrilled with 14.2ish...but doubtful. When I install the blower I have....boom...high 12's with the right tuning and blower pulley etc.

You can blow alot of money on go slow or go fast parts, being smart about it is the key. For example, you can blow $350 on a MAF, $1,000 on headers, another $500 on exhaust, $200 on cold air induction, $100 on plugs/wires, $300+ on a handheld programmer, etc...and virtually gain nothing but maybe .5 sec. in the 1/4 (if your lucky). That's $2,450 on average, you could argue a little lower or little higher for prices on certain brands etc. With that being said, you could spend about $1,500 on a good set of Dart Heads and $400 for a cam (including springs, etc.), Spend about about $1,000 on tuning and install and pick probably more than a full second in the 1/4. Add a torque converter and you could gain another .2-.5. Ont he flip side, you could buy an inexpensive blower (not the best, but inexpensive) like a powerdyne off of ebay or a used whipple for probably well under $3,000 + a tune, install it yourself (usually easier and less involved than a head/cam swap), and pick up about 1.0-1.5 seconds as well. Again, the key is being smart. You can go fast for less and dont have to spend $10k like some of us will. Or you can do the slow supporting mods first, like I did and then get the blower on. I added headers, cai, tune, converter, efans, exhaust, etc. and would expect a 14.4 or so in the 1/4, but would be thrilled with 14.2ish...but doubtful. When I install the blower I have....boom...high 12's with the right tuning and blower pulley etc.

I do have to admit that what u say makes alot of sense. I might be talking to u soon on what is needed. I am used to the old muscle cars. And the new servos and stuff i am catching up to but not yet.

C this is why i love the sight. :thumbs:

Someone already wrote a couple primers on Wikipedia: GM LS Engine Series, GM Vortec Engines

The TBSS has the LS2 motor, Silverados are fit with the Vortec line of V6 & V8 engines almost all of which are built on an iron block. I've never heard of a LQ8 motor. :dunno:

The LQ9 and LS2 engine blocks were developed at roughly the same time and they are dimensionally similar however the LQ9 block is iron and decended from the 5.3L iron block, and the LS2 block is aluminum decended from the LS6 aluminum block. The LS2 block weighs about 70-lbs less but the LQ9 block is both stronger and less likely to dimensionally shift with age. There are also a few other differences which are minor.

The LQ9 and LS2 have the same crankshaft stroke (3.622" inherited from LS1) but the LS2 uses a 58-tooth crank trigger and new crank sensor, PCM, and programming; the LQ9 inherits the LS1 24-tooth crank trigger. The 24-tooth reluctor engines (LS1, LS6, LQ9, LQ4, C5-R, etc) are called "Gen-3" motors, the newest 58-tooth reluctor engines (LS2, LS7, C6-R, etc) are known as "Gen-IV" motors. The crank and cam sensors are also located in different places on the Gen-3 vs. Gen-4 motors.

All Gen-3 & Gen-4 motors use aluminum heads; port designs have matured over the years (later heads perform better than earlier ones). I am not up to speed on the history of late GM cylinder head development, other than to know the LQ9/LQ4 heads (casting #317) are very similar in port configuration and performance of the LS2 head, and these are much more desirable than the original LS1/LS6 heads. But the new heads used on the L98 motor are going to be fantastic pieces...

Mr. P.

The answer man. :thumbs:

On the late model heads, do you mean the 6.2L L92?

I added headers, cai, tune, converter, efans, exhaust, etc. and would expect a 14.4 or so in the 1/4, but would be thrilled with 14.2ish...but doubtful.

I have the above and ran what is in my signature W/O the efans, headers so I think it might be possible