Engine block heater

cwest94

My truck has been sitting for the last couple months not being started or anything, just sitting out in the cold temps. I'm sure the battery is dead, so I'm sure I will need to jump start it, again. But my real question is, should I bother plugging in the engine block heater thing for a while before I start it up, or does it not really matter? The temps around here the last couple weeks been in the teens and 20's.

And if you have one, do you even use it? Just curious.

I'm sure I'm killing the poor thing by leaving it sit in the street without ever driving it, but I just have no garage to store it in for the winter and I cant run an extenion cord out the front lawn and sidewalk to use one of those battery stabilizer things.

I personally would plug it in the night before you start it. It will help heat the oil up and put a

battery charger on it just before you start it. Just my opinion.

I live in CO and plug my truck in every night in the winter.

Was the engine heater an option for 03?

Yes. That and On-star are the only options I did not get. I think the option was like $60 or something stupid like that.

Anyway, they make solar powered trickle chargers. May wish to invest in one of those. It will at least keep the battery charged.

I personally would plug it in the night before you start it. It will help heat the oil up and put a

battery charger on it just before you start it. Just my opinion.

I live in CO and plug my truck in every night in the winter.

engine block heaters warm the water in the block, not the oil. It will keep the coolant anywhere between 60-80*, depending on how cool the weather is. It wouldn't hurt to plug the truck in a few hours before startup. When you start it up, let it idle for at least 5 minutes and let the oil get into the lifters and whatnot. :thumbs:

AH easy subject for me to hit on. Ok first off ill tell you this, there is no need to plug your tuck in below -5. My truck is completely winterized due to the harsh conditions in alaska. We have HBO's in most parking lots so that people can plug their vehicles in during winter. Im with montanass on the block heater function. Althought i do have a battery blanket and a oil pan heater as well. My block heater diffenty gets it use. I i never plug in my vehicle till -5 and below. And then i only plug it in if its going to be sitting more than 2 hrs depending on tempature. Always let your vehicle warm up, thats the key in the winter. I know at -40 my truck will reach normal temps after 30 to 40 min of running. I usually allow 20 min at a min just for good measure. If you feel compelled to plug your truck in before you start it let it set for atleast 3 to 4 hrs just so you get a smoother start. Every new vehicle you buy up here is already winterized and ready to go. I heard taking that freeze plug out was not something you really wanna do. Anyway, if you got any questions feel free to ask.