Older C-10 Silverado SS C-20 help

Kennster

Hi All,

I am a confused norwegian, that have finally found your site...

I have completely fallen in love with the late 70's, early 80's Chevrolet pickup trucks, I believe C-10 is the proper term... But I am a complete newbie at this and have found little or no information on this topic.

WHAT are the different models called... C-10, C-20, Silverado, SS... you name it. In the pictures they look very similar.. Is there a list or something anywhere, that state the different models? with stepside, shortbed, longbed, 2WD, 4x4, diesel or gas...

I am just really confused, and find little information back home, so I thought I'd try you guys out.

I am looking to buy one, and any tips regarding known issues would be greatly appreciated:-)

If I have posted this in the wrong forum, let me know!!

Kind regards,

-Kenneth-

Hi All,

I have completely fallen in love with the late 70's, early 80's Chevrolet pickup trucks, I believe C-10 is the proper term... But I am a complete newbie at this and have found little or no information on this topic.

WHAT are the different models called... C-10, C-20, Silverado, SS... you name it. In the pictures they look very similar.. Is there a list or something anywhere, that state the different models? with stepside, shortbed, longbed, 2WD, 4x4, diesel or gas...

I am just really confused, and find little information back home, so I thought I'd try you guys out.

I am looking to buy one, and any tips regarding known issues would be greatly appreciated:-)

Kind regards,

-Kenneth-

Hi Kenneth,

The trucks you're talking about are the 1978-1988 the "C" in front of the 10-20-30 means its 2 wheel drive and the "K" means 4X4.

THE 10 20 30 is the weights and load capacity, they came with all the beds you mention and in regular and crewcabs, engines from a V6 to a V8 454 Big block and Diesel they also made a Blazer (K5)and Suburban variants. the Silverado name after the C10.. was the luxury trim package i cant remember the other trim names sorry...

I used to own a Blazer and have had a couple of the C10 trucks look for rust in the usual places and if you find a well looked after one they are great trucks, parts are still available from lots of places..

as for more info this site is for the 2003-2007 Silverado SS so you might try Chevy truck world they cover all the Chevy models and are a friendly bunch of guys just like on here, you'll probably recognise a few user names who post on both sites.

Hope i've been a little help for you, good luck on finding a truck...or you could always buy a SS there's a few for sale on here (i bought mine from a member)

all the best

eamonn

Edited by eamonnschevy (see edit history)

Hi All,

Kind regards,

-Kenneth-

Hi Kenneth,

The trucks you're talking about are the 1978-1988 the "C" in front of the 10-20-30 means its 2 wheel drive and the "K" means 4X4.

THE 10 20 30 is the weights and load capacity, they came with all the beds you mention and in regular and crewcabs, engines from a V6 to a V8 454 Big block and Diesel they also made a Blazer (K5)and Suburban variants. the Silverado name after the C10.. was the luxury trim package i cant remember the other trim names sorry...

I used to own a Blazer and have had a couple of the C10 trucks look for rust in the usual places and if you find a well looked after one they are great trucks, parts are still available from lots of places..

as for more info this site is for the 2003-2007 Silverado SS so you might try Chevy truck world they cover all the Chevy models and are a friendly bunch of guys just like on here, you'll probably recognise a few user names who post on both sites.

Hope i've been a little help for you, good luck on finding a truck...or you could always buy a SS there's a few for sale on here (i bought mine from a member)

all the best

eamonn

Custom Deluxe was the base model. Mainly with single color plastic door panels, no headliner, vinal bench seat, rubber floor mat, am/fm radio

Cheyenne was the next model up with a few options added and alternate paint schemes

Silverado was the loaded version with power windows, power locks, carpeting, cloth headliner, cloth seats, sliding rear window

With the K5 Blazer, there were other option groups too. However, the S10 Blazer had a a top of the line option group called Tahoe. For some reason in the early 90s (94 I believe) Chevy changed the names of the K5 Blazer and the S10 Blazer to the Tahoe and Blazer (which later became a midsize and redubbed Trailblazer.

Also, when Chevy changed the body style of, what was then just called, the fullsized truck in 88, the 10,20,30 was replaced with 1500, 2500, 3500.

GMC went through all the same changes too over the same time periods. Except (and i may be wrong) the earlier models were 15,25,35 and the S10 equivilant was the S15. Their trucks were the Sierra and the top of the line High Sierra. With the Jimmy being the K5 equivilant and then the Jimmy becoming the Yukon and the S15 Jimmy becoming the Envoy. There was a model name i think between the S15 Jimmy and the Envoy though, I'm just drawing a blank.

Custom Deluxe was the base model. Mainly with single color plastic door panels, no headliner, vinal bench seat, rubber floor mat, am/fm radio

Cheyenne was the next model up with a few options added and alternate paint schemes

Silverado was the loaded version with power windows, power locks, carpeting, cloth headliner, cloth seats, sliding rear window

Don't forget the Scottsdale trim level between the Cheyenne and the Silverado.

My 83 Scottsdale has EVERYTHING the Silverado had except carpet and headliner. (Power windows, locks, air, cruise, tilt, power brakes, steering, cloth seat)

never mind i didnt read it all, i had a sierra classic, 82 ohh the fun I had in that thing, 6 inch lift 355 4 speed oh, how i miss that truck, oh by thte way awsome tread took me for a trip down memory lane. also look out for rust on the bed where the tailgate hinges bolt on they are note4d for rotting out, as well as cab corners, bed sides, floor pans, inner fender wells, the channels that run under your bed are also noted for rotting out if it is a truck up north

almost forgot a few things the turn signals that are in the bumper get rid of them and put them behind the grill like the newer 83-87 trucks has because you will have troubles if you keep them in the bumper up front and also check the tailight wiring I have seena lot of butcher jobs bone on the 80's chevy trucks and amke sure they have good grounds also the ground from the bed to the frame are also noted for rotting off, that can be fixed witha stainless bradied strap.

My 83 Scottsdale has EVERYTHING the Silverado had except carpet and headliner. (Power windows, locks, air, cruise, tilt, power brakes, steering, cloth seat)

From lowest to highest trim levels were Custom Deluxe, Scottsdale, Cheyenne, and Silverado, I believe.

From lowest to highest trim levels were Custom Deluxe, Scottsdale, Cheyenne, and Silverado, I believe.

i knew i forgot one. damn. did it off the top of my head. my laptop shit the bed right after sending that. not bad. lasted 14 months

Actually, it was Custom Deluxe, Cheyenne, Scottsdale, and Silverado.

The Cheyenne was not much more than a Custom Deluxe.