Lowering rear without removing gas tank

03CHEV SS

I've read several post about guys lower the rear of there trucks and removing the gas tank. You don't have to remove the tank to change out the springs. I lower my dad's truck 4-6 which is the rear flip. What I done was have him order some new bolts from GM for the front hanger and used a saw-all to cut the bolt. Loosened the nut drove the bolt in towards the tank and cut it off then drove the rest out. During installation just put the bolt in from the outside in and the nut goes on towards the tank. This way you don't have to wrestle the tank. Bolts were fairly cheap I think. Happy lowering!!

HA HA I'm glad you think so. Pushing a bolt in and cutting it off and knocking it the rest of the way out is harder that lower the tank. HUM cutting the bolt took about 2 mins. All I can say is keep on lowering those gas tanks or try it once and you'll see.

lowering the tank was alot easier than that

:withstupid:

lowering the tank takes all of five minutes tops. wow its a lot harder. :crackup: just flip the bolts around when you put it back and its no sweat anyways.

Not to mention dropping the tank cost less :jester: And you aren't ruining a prefectly good part.

Sorry I disagree with the lowering the tank being easier than cutting the bolt.

I used a cutoff wheel that took all of 15secs to trim off the excess bolt stem. A little pressure with a pry bar against the tank and out it came. Hell, I even put the bolt back in the same way.

now that I have aftermarket hangers, this is no longer possible.......

Jim

Sorry I disagree with the lowering the tank being easier than cutting the bolt.

I used a cutoff wheel that took all of 15secs to trim off the excess bolt stem. A little pressure with a pry bar against the tank and out it came. Hell, I even put the bolt back in the same way.

now that I have aftermarket hangers, this is no longer possible.......

Jim

in all honesty it doesnt take very long to lower the tank...... however, i didnt lower mine for the hanger bolt swap. i wedged a block of wood between the frame and the tank, then used a pry bar and just slipped the bolt right out. now THAT is faster :jester: