VortcMax vs. SSS

nxtnlne

Smog test? What's that?

They test the exhaust for pollutants?

Ask the tester guy this: How the heck to you expect my truck to suck in polluted, dirty California air, then put out clean exhaust? Is my truck supposed to CLEAN the air?

Mike

Hey Mike you still doing the tuninng? I dont mind the mail in thing but shit if I can get it done in one day I would rather do that. After I get some bolt ons of course. Im just :rant:

Are you talking to me? My tune is a mail order. Nelson tuned a PCM and mailed it to me. You then send your stock PCM back as a core. No down time that way. I love my tune!

The first tune, I just did his suggested settings, but insisted he leave in 20% of the torque management. On the second tune, he softened my shifts back to stock for normal driving up to 1/3 throttle and removed torque management completely. I am very happy with my tune at this point.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

Smog test? What's that?

They test the exhaust for pollutants?

Ask the tester guy this: How the heck to you expect my truck to suck in polluted, dirty California air, then put out clean exhaust? Is my truck supposed to CLEAN the air?

Mike

:crackup:

i just googled california smog. i know its true cause i bought my dodge brand new in 01 and never had to smog it. same with my wifes mitsu we bought in 02.

Wow I had no idea. I've never heard that before as you could tell from my reaction. I wonder why the dealer would tell me its every 2 years? If so then that changes everything!!!! Thanks

i just googled california smog. i know its true cause i bought my dodge brand new in 01 and never had to smog it. same with my wifes mitsu we bought in 02.

Wow I had no idea. I've never heard that before as you could tell from my reaction. I wonder why the dealer would tell me its every 2 years? If so then that changes everything!!!! Thanks

it is every two years but the first 6 are exempt. after that its every two years. hope this isnt the dealer you get your service done at. :crackup:

it is every two years but the first 6 are exempt. after that its every two years. hope this isnt the dealer you get your service done at. :crackup:

Yes it is :banghead: ......But :cheers: no smog till 2012. Good looking out! That goes for the Saab too...nice

The one to really watch out for is the 2WD Performance Edition with 4.10 gears. Someone on this site has one. That truck combines the light weight of 2WD with the lower gears. A potent package.

Mike

thats me! :D

i actualy posted this before, but my only run in with a SSS was recently on a freeway from 80-100 my truck is limited to 100 :banghead: he got the jump but i beat him by about a length untill i topped out :tear: but i'm getting my tune as soon as i get my tax return :cool: and i have'nt installed the wifes x-mas gift yet either (pacesetters)

so pretty soon i won't have to let anyone fly buy me due to a technicality.

also i had a run in with a 350Z but thats in another topic.

This actually surprises me. An AWD SS weighs essentially the same as a 4WD V-Max. The AWD SS has 4.10 gears the same as a 4WD V-Max. They have the same motor and transmission ratios. The only advantage the SS has is that they are lower to the ground. This might translate into less drag at high speeds. I would think that a 4WD V-Max and an AWD SS would be side by side to 90 MPH or so.

You also have to keep in mind that each truck is a little different... Back when I still had my SSS it was a factory freak and ran faster than others with IDENTICAL modifications... some trucks are slow, some are fast, most fall somewhere in the middle.

PROOF:

th_MOV00415.jpg

This was me (near lane) and JonmalibuSS (far lane) a while back... both AWD, both running an identical list of mods, including the same intake, tune, etc. Both running on stock wheel/tire combo... only real difference was he was without his tailgate, which should've been an advantage. Our trucks were good examples of the 2 contrasts... like I said, mine was a bit of a freak and his gave him alot of problems... just goes to show how differnet 2 of the same trucks can be. :driving:

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

I agree with you. My dad in 1989 bought a new toyo p/u 22re for $5,900 . In 2000 my buddie purchased 1994. It sat alot about 3 months at a time.. When my buddie got his toyo he came right over and called me out. after a jump start and no warm up I proceeded to whoop his ass. LOL later he added headers,cam and sprocket, throttle body, intake,exhaust, flywheel. My truck would still give him hell.3 gear chirps..lol fun truck. Later he went on to gears nitrous and turbo kit. post-8750-1170399853_thumb.jpgRIP TIckaty Tack...