What is the difference in shift kits from Transgo?

You want the Reprogramming Kit, the HD2-C; it's more complete than the shift kits. Also add in the Transgo hardened separator plate, metal 2nd accumulator piston (to preplace OEM nylon), and Vette 2nd apply servo - you should be able to get all of this together for about $120. If you want to splurge also get a billet 4th servo ($65).

Mr. P.

it's more complete than the shift kits

Mr. P, could you or someone elaborate on this as to what more complete means? :dunno: My question is since I already have the one kit, is it really necessary to sell/return it and get the HD2 or will I be ok...and if I should go the HD2 no matter what...I would at least like a reasonable explanation ;)

Mr. P, could you or someone elaborate on this as to what more complete means? :dunno: My question is since I already have the one kit, is it really necessary to sell/return it and get the HD2 or will I be ok...and if I should go the HD2 no matter what...I would at least like a reasonable explanation ;)

In TransGo lingo: Reprogramming Kit is what they call their High Performance Shift Kit; it's now also known as the Heavy Duty, or HD, shift kit. The HD kits include the same necessary fixes found in the basic SK kits -plus- changes in calibration to give the tranny HD/HP capabilities such as increased hp/tq handling ability, more manual control, and the rev spring kit to give higher RPM capability (you have to overhaul the tranny to install the rev kit). The SK kits do make shifts quicker but will not increase torque capacity very much over stock and are not intended for competition use.

TransGo offers 3 4L60 shift kits -

1. The SK kit improves tranny life/durability over stock but without adding harsh shifts; think of it as firm & quick shifts for a car, if you install the SK kit in your truck it will be better than stock but will still not have enough holding power to handle significant improvements in engine torque, there will still be slippage & burnt clutches between shifts at WOT;
  2. The HD2-C kit improves tranny durability/life as much as possible without care for rider comfort, shifts are fast and at WOT can be described as anything from 'solid' to 'hard'; in a car or maybe traction-limited 2WD truck these kits will chirp tires between gears as the actual torque holding capacity of the valvebody has been improved. On a stock/NA AWD truck this shift kit will not chirp tires going into 2nd because there is plenty of traction, the WOT 2nd shift is definitely hard.
  3. The HD3 kit is a full-race kit designed to provide the fastest possible shift performance without care for driver comfort or tranny life; shifts are fast as possible to get you down the track tranny-be-damned and range anywhere from brutal to violent.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Sorry to reply to an older thread but I been trying to do some research on this....I'm getting all different answers from different sources...

Tom over at Tbyrne said I need the 4L60e kit.

Jesse Bubb said the HD2 kit. Where did you find this HD2-C kit to order?

After reading this thread I'm pretty sure I need the HD2 kit.

Sorry to reply to an older thread but I been trying to do some research on this....I'm getting all different answers from different sources...

Tom over at Tbyrne said I need the 4L60e kit.

Jesse Bubb said the HD2 kit. Where did you find this HD2-C kit to order?

After reading this thread I'm pretty sure I need the HD2 kit.

Yes you want the HD2-C kit - it's their third 'version' of the product. I've got that same kit in my tranny.

Mr. P.

• 1 month later...
Zippy doesnt sell the HD2-C kit

what i think he was saying was going with Zippy's kit instead. everyone has their own preferences though and if you prefer the HD2-C kit over his and want to go with that one, that's cool. I'd be interested to see how both kits compare to each other.

Just got this in the mail today...I'm guessing its good prices...

Thanks for the request. 4L60E-HD2-C $87.35 separator plate $16.51 2nd accumulator piston $7.85 Vette 2nd apply servo $15.75 billet 4th servo $49.41 prices do not include tax or freight.

Robert Fellers

Sales Manager

TPS

1713 Milam

Texarkana, TX 75501

800-527-8782 Fax 903-792-1052

[email protected]

www.tpsautoparts.com

www.tpsequipment.com

• 1 month later...