DUMPING THE EXHAUST

Vtec Max

I know I may be a bit slow here, but what exactly does dumping the exhaust mean? Pics would be helpful. I have a really loud exhaust and dumping seems to be what is working for some folks to quiet it down.

Welcoming all the 2cents you guys have on this subject........ :D

Dumping your exhaust will make it louder. Basically you cut the pipes after the muffler and drop it under the truck.

There is a pic in this thread.

I can't seem to click on any pictures, always comes up with an error. Anybody have pictures that can be posted without having to click on anything?

I'm not really looking to get the rumble out of my truck, just the resonance level inside the cab is a bit loud. Think dumping the exhaust will cut that resonance?

Edited by Vtec Max (see edit history)

Dumping your exhaust will make it louder. Basically you cut the pipes after the muffler and drop it under the truck.

There is a pic in this thread.

I can't seem to click on any pictures, always comes up with an error. Anybody have pictures that can be posted without having to click on anything?

I'm not really looking to get the rumble out of my truck, just the resonance level inside the cab is a bit loud. Think dumping the exhaust will cut that resonance?

There is a pic posted in that thread without having to click on it, posted by braddub. I don't know about the resonance question, I don't think it would help to dump it, but I could be wrong.

I am 80% sure dumping the tips will not reduce your resonance problem.

X pipes have helped some people I believe .... you might spend some time reading the exhaust threads in our archives ( search button ) ... I believe there has been some really extensive threads comparing certain aspects of the exhaust ... ie ... x pipe no x pipe ... this muffler and then tried this muffler ... etc.

there's more resonance with a dumped exhaust, imo. i hate my dumped muffler to be honest.. don't attempt this if you're wanting a quieter ride. :banghead:

do you think the size of your muffler has anything to do with the loudness? I think if you get a bigger muffler, it won't be so bad.....at least that's what others keep telling me :D

thanks for the help on the dumping pic. I have a spin tech muffler, really small and really loud. Gotta find a way to keep the sound outside the cab.......

i had a true dual setup with dual spintechs with a an x-pipe , cat delete dumped with 3 inch piping on my last truck 01 dodge and the interior resonance was ridiculously loud. sounded meaner than chit though.

there's more resonance with a dumped exhaust, imo. i hate my dumped muffler to be honest.. don't attempt this if you're wanting a quieter ride. :banghead:

do you think the size of your muffler has anything to do with the loudness? I think if you get a bigger muffler, it won't be so bad.....at least that's what others keep telling me :D

it's the baffles inside it.. it's similiar to the flowmaster 40 series interior design but half the size. size is another contributing factor though, yes. trust me though, it will be taken off as my cam and headers are installed soon. then the corsa goes back on.

thanks for the help on the dumping pic. I have a spin tech muffler, really small and really loud. Gotta find a way to keep the sound outside the cab.......

i had a true dual setup with dual spintechs with a an x-pipe , cat delete dumped with 3 inch piping on my last truck 01 dodge and the interior resonance was ridiculously loud. sounded meaner than chit though.

those spintechs sure sound good from the outside........if I can't find a solution to the resonance, I might be going to corsa like my family Tahoe :jester:

• 1 month later...

does anyone know where I may be able to find sound clips of dumped exhaust on our trucks? I tried streetfire with no results. Anyone on the boards got some sound bites?? I had dumps on my mustang with flowmaster mufflers, I loved the sound. Not sure how it would sound on the ss though.

I had a flo-pro dual in/out that I had welded into the stock piping. The interior resonance was more than I wanted. Resonance was gone after dumping the exhaust right after the muffler. I have reported this before and others have tried it with mixed results. The flo-pro is a huge muffler, I think that has something to do with it.

Greg