FYI wheel cleaner eats wheel weights!

misterp

That Sux's. What will replace them with?

CD

After I get the tires re-balanced I'll continue to use the Maguire's Chrome Wheel cleaner on the 'show' side of the rim because it works so well and I'll switch to a different less caustic cleaner for the backside of the wheel, something that will not eat-up the tape weights.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

I wont use wheel cleaner any more I had some ruin a set of rims and when I asked about it they said they pulled it off the shelfs because it ate thru the can. I should have made them replace em but didnt want to deal with the hassle. :banghead: Now I just use soap and water with glass cleaner works better than anything else I have ever tried.

Now I just use soap and water with glass cleaner works better than anything else I have ever tried.
I tried just soap & water and it will not cut the brake dust loose, so I have to scrub like a SOB and that scratches the chrome.

I use neverdull
Nevrdull is waaaaaay to harsh, that stuff scuffs my stainless tips, I can only imagine the damage it will do to my chrome wheels.

I just use window cleaner and it works better than any wheel cleaner ive tried and we kinda had the same experience with some wheel cleaner. i foget what it was but was sitting on my dads metal work bench and a couple days later we moved for some reason and it was all corroded beaneth it and shit luckily we never used it the chrome wheels. Woud window cleaner hurt chrome wheels? I wouldnt think it would but ive never thought about it.

i use Maguire's hot rims. it works good on my 03 ss alloy rims... never did the inside tho..... never checked to make sure the wheel weights were their either... i also have used glass cleaner {when i was out of hot rims}and it doesnt seem to work as well. i used the Maguire's rim brush.... best one i have ever used...... but when i wax my truck i do wax my rims... and the next couple times i wash my truck rims pretty much spray right off... oh yes some time i can get acid wheel wash from a dealer right down the road from me.{friends that work @ car dealershps are the best friends}....but im afraid to use it on my ss wheels so i use it on my mom's cobalt ss havent seen any problems and it works awesome, i think better than Maguire's but i think it is illegal in pa...???!! its like a purple real slippery kinda stuff.

I've been down this road before with other products. I rarely use wheel cleaner on my wheels, they are painted so I just soap them up and wash them when i'm done cleaning the truck. I use Allumabright (fleet alluminum brightener) once or twice a year when i clean the truck during the summer and spring.