Not Good

SS Silv

Ok, my step uncle and aunt got busted big time for drugs last Thursday. I honestly had no idea what he was into, I only thought he smoked pot hear and there. On top of this, he is co- owner of a used car dealer ship also owned by my step-mom. The story has leaked out on the news and of course everything gets lead back to the business. Right now we are unsure about what is going to happen as far as the business goes.

I know my uncle was in the wrong, but all I can do is help him with my past experience with addiction. I talked to him last-night and it was heart breaking to hear his story and how he got caught up in this shit and how much he wants is life to change.

Well, I am sure his life will change with sentence of 121 years in jail.

The reason why I am posting is to get your opinion on what you think will happen as far as the final sentence. Maybe some of our fellow law-inforcment might have some insight. He wants to seek treatment for his addiction, will this help any in court?

This sucks, I know drug dealing not only effects the dealer but also the person who buys the drugs as well as their family. It sucks to have this happen to such a close relative.

Here is the news story.

ABismarck couple faces multiple drug charges following an ongoing investigation.

**** Wentz, 55, was charged Friday with three counts of delivery of cocaine, all Class Afelonies; one count of possession of cocaine with intent to deliver, a Class A felony; eight counts of Class C felony possession of drug paraphernalia; one count of Class A misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia; and one count of possession of marijuana, a Class Bmisdemeanor.

****** Eggen, 53, was charged Friday with possession of cocaine with intent to deliver, a Class Afelony; six counts of Class Cfelony possession of drug paraphernalia; one count of Class Amisdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia; and one count of possession of marijuana, a Class Bmisdemeanor.

South Central District Judge Bruce Haskell set bond for Wentz at $50,000 cash. He set bond for Eggen at $10,000 cash. Both bonds have been posted.

Bismarck Police Sgt. Mark Buschena said the charges are the result of an investigation conducted by officers since August. He said Wentz and Eggen are married.

Search warrants were executed simultaneously at 8 p.m. Friday at ***** Auto Center Inc., ***** Airport Road, and the couple's residence on the *** block of Ashwood Drive, Buschena said.

Officers found drug paraphernalia at **** Auto Center Inc., Buschena said. Wentz is a co-owner of the car dealership, according to the dealership's Web site. Buschena said Wentz was arrested at the dealership.

Buschena said police found 19 grams of cocaine, which had been individually packaged, at the residence. He said Eggen was arrested at the home.

According to court documents, the delivery of cocaine charges against Wentz come from incidents on Aug. 9, Oct. 18 and Jan. 19, when he allegedly sold cocaine to individuals.

Wentz faces up to 121 years and 30 days in prison and fines of up to $83,000 if convicted. Eggen faces up to 51 years and 30 days in prison and fines of up to $43,000 if convicted

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

It's tough to see family go out like that. I feel for you. I've known people close to me in similar situations. All I can say is do what you have to do brother. I've heard of people manufacturing and selling drugs serving there sentence and getting clean in the process. And when they get out they start a new life changed for the better. As far as the prison sentence I could'nt say. Good luck to you and your family.

The felony charges obviously are not good. It really depends on the judge and how tough on drugs he/she is. The 121 years is the maximum sentence put into the article for shock and awe effect to readers. The research you want to do is find out what the minimum sentences are for the charges if any. Most crimes carry max and min sentencing guidelines. It also depends on if the judge wants to sentence consecutively or concurrently for time served, this will make a huge difference. The 121 years is consecutive if convicted on all counts. I'm willing to bet this might end up being a plea bargin and some of the charges will end up being dropped., which will lower the time. If I had to guess wildly, I'm willing to bet your uncle will probably get somewhere between 10-20years and maybe serve 7 of those before being paroled. Your Aunt, maybe half that, but this is just gut guess based on some similar experiences people I know close to the law have seen. Either way, if they evidence linking distribution, there is going to be jail time. On the flip side, your uncle is not scarface and probably a low rent distributor and maybe, just maybe, they might press your uncle to roll on his source in exchange for time off of sentence.

I feel for ya thats gotta be hard. But I always find it amazing how people messed up in drugs only feel they need help when they get caught. I have friends that ignore my wanting to help the because they don't have a problem until they get caught then its all of a sudden I want to change when in reality they are just pissed they got caught. :shakehead:

Sorry to hear about this; I doubt the sentence is the whole 121 years, if that were true his bail would be far higher than $50K. Being arrested in posession of 19-grams is bad, bad, bad - he's not getting off no way no how, he won't be able to argue ignorance or personal use or whatever.

AFA wanting to change one's life, I still say that it all boils down to whether or not it's important to you; if something is important enough to you (whatever it is) then you'll do it. Short of that, it's just wishful dreaming. Right now my Firebird isn't running, and I really wish things were different and all the valvesprings were changed-out so I could get it back on the road but fact is that it just isn't that important to me; if getting the car back on the road were that important to me I would drop everything including working on the SS and going to my job and fix the car! But it's not as important to me as my other activities, so it doesn't get done. Same thing with your uncle, he wants to change his life, but in the end it's obvious that it just hasn't really been as important to him as his other activities.

The one thing that I would encourage you to do is not forget him in jail. It is common that everyone just forgets you once you are incarcerated, no calls or visits or letters; it would be nice if his family still made an effort to stay somewhat in regular contact.

Mr. P.

each state is different, if first offence for each then a GOOD lawer can get most reduced or dismissed most of the charges. my experence with felony charges, 1 count possession of a dangerous wepon, 6 counts possesson of explosives, 1 count fleeing to avoid prosicution, $500,000 bail. was reduced to a infraction of the health and safety code, and fined $100.00 and cort cost of $56.00 had a GOOD lawer :thumbs:

the only outher thing is ROLL OVER on any one they can. i think your aunt will get off preaty light (i hope) if it's her first offence

GOOD LUCK.....

:seeya:

I have plenty of family in prison for various crimes (including drugs). I agree with MisterP, don't forget about him. It won't take long though before you're just used to the idea of him being in there, but don't let others opinion of it bother you.

each state is different, if first offence for each then a GOOD lawer can get most reduced or dismissed most of the charges. my experence with felony charges, 1 count possession of a dangerous wepon, 6 counts possesson of explosives, 1 count fleeing to avoid prosicution, $500,000 bail. was reduced to a infraction of the health and safety code, and fined $100.00 and cort cost of $56.00 had a GOOD lawer :thumbs:

the only outher thing is ROLL OVER on any one they can. i think your aunt will get off preaty light (i hope) if it's her first offence

GOOD LUCK.....

:seeya:

Your screen name fits you.... :jester: