Tranny Gone

Well, my tranny took a dump on me, or at least I think it did, on my way to work today...I was cruising down the freeway at about 75 when it down shifted to 3rd and wouldn't shift back up to OD. So I figured I would see if I could get it to down shift by stepping on it and see if it would go back to OD but when I did it sounded like it was shifting into 2nd when all of the sudden the rpm's hit over 6000 and the truck didn't move. So I took the truck out on my lunch and it starts off in 1st but goes to almost 6000 rpm's then shifts and drops all the way down to 2000 rpm's so...... I think it's done for...Good thing I bought a 7year 100,000 warranty....

Good thing I bought a 7year 100,000 warranty....

That sucks about the tranny. Who did you get your extended warranty through, and how much did it set you back? Do they have exclusions for "modifications" such as your shift kit?

I am considering one of the extended warranties for my truck, but would like to know some details. I would like a supercharger. I wonder if your extended warranty would be void with one of those???

Mike

I don't think this warranty will cover any modifications but the way I see it..."what they can't see won't hurt me!!!" lol As for my shift kit, they would have to be very proficient with these trannies to recognize the shift kit or even the vette sero. The only thing that I'm removing is my tune...I hope they don't try to pull anything stupid over on me.

Nah, the warranty is not GM but everything that I've needed them to do has been a very sinple proccess...I will have the name of the company that I went through to get this...It was fairly expensive but I did buy it just before my factory warranty ran up and the work that it has covered so far has just about pay it off... I think I spent right around $3200 for it...I'll have the name of the company as soon as I can find the paperwork.

Well, the dealer found out that a band failed and that there was a lot of scoring in the valve body. I guess they didn't notice the shift kit. :thumbs: So... they are going to replace the tranny with a remanufactured tranny...although my extended warranty company wanted to replace it with a used (they called it a drop out or take out or something like that) tranny...they found one with less than a 100 miles but I didn't think that was too kosher so I just paid the difference to get the reman'ed...and also considering that the reman'ed has a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty on it and the used one only had a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty plus I would have to wait 3-5 days for the used tranny, and on top of all that, the warranty company will only pay for 2 days rental for me at a max of $30/day and they wanted me to cover the time I'd be waiting for the tranny to arrive... It seems like since the warranty has been paid off they went to sh*t on me. BTW, the company is Western General...I'd suggest not getting their warranty after what I have been through with them lately. I always had good luck with them prior to this and my last warranty issues. Oh well, you live and learn....