Stock Tail lights wanted

eamonnschevy

before you cut them up y dont you just get a set of 1999-02 lights?? they have the ambers and will fit right in????
Chevy had to have made export taillights for the Silverado??? Anyway, just do what I did and spray tint them after you install the amber lenses. I've got a similar project in motion, I'm changing all my lighting from incandescent to LED, there's a little more to it I've discovered...

Do I sense a "How-to" coming up? :)

before you cut them up y dont you just get a set of 1999-02 lights?? they have the ambers and will fit right in????
Chevy had to have made export taillights for the Silverado??? Anyway, just do what I did and spray tint them after you install the amber lenses. I've got a similar project in motion, I'm changing all my lighting from incandescent to LED, there's a little more to it I've discovered...

As popular as the Siverado is you would think so, but all I can find are import tail lights for the SUVs.

yea it sucks to have to cut up a set of lights just to comply with the law and I've got a spare set of 99-02 lights but i really love the look and shape of the 03-06 and i'd like to keep them as original as possible, i was going to just paint the bulbs green ( Red lens + Green Bulb = Orange light) but the bulb paint needed too many coats to be effective and didn't work, now if i could get a set of Green LED bulbs that would probably work but i've not been able to find any so dremel tool and some effort should make me legal. i might do a tint on the spare set for show use only of course lol ;)

Maybe, instead of a yellow lens: mold in a clear lens (shaped to match the backup light lens) and use a yellow bulb. I would even scavenge the clear backup light lenses from another set of Silverado lights and inset those so it looks like it 'belongs'. Then spray down the taillights with 3 coats of VHT Nightshades, or alternatively a couple coats of half-black/half-clear (looks better). When I tinted my lenses I masked off the "lit area" so that it only received a couple coats there while the rest of the housing got 4+ coats, they look very dark but where the lamps are it's still very bright output.

Just food for thought. Totally blows they make you cut up your taillights.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Do I sense a "How-to" coming up? :)

When I'm all done I'll post pics and if there is enough interest I'll go into it. Basically you need to replace the turn signal blinker/relay with an electronic one ($100 :crazy: ) and then you can start replacing turn signals with LED lamps. Get the brightest you can find, there's a importer in CA that is selling 45-element LEDs (the brightest I can find) and they are bright enough that you can use them in smoked taillight lenses and still comply with the law. I'm actually having a little tougher time finding a good replacement for the small marker lights, I might leave those incandescent.

Mr. P.

i for one am intersted in a How To Feature Misterp, i have enjoyed reading your how toos since i've been on here and this one would really help me....

but i'm not going to change the red lens to amber, i'm going to tint the inside of the turn signal green then put a brighter bulb in to start with... i put some green plastic film on the outside of the lens and it did shine thru amber, i 've just got to find a way to put it inside.... if i cant manage the idea of putting a clear lens in sound s good, i think i'll be experimenting for a while till i get it right...

eamonn

i for one am intersted in a How To Feature Misterp, i have enjoyed reading your how toos since i've been on here and this one would really help me....

but i'm not going to change the red lens to amber, i'm going to tint the inside of the turn signal green then put a brighter bulb in to start with... i put some green plastic film on the outside of the lens and it did shine thru amber, i 've just got to find a way to put it inside.... if i cant manage the idea of putting a clear lens in sound s good, i think i'll be experimenting for a while till i get it right...

eamonn

Well I agree if you can be legal with a green bulb by all means do it! I'd hate to see your taillights molested.

yea it sucks to have to cut up a set of lights just to comply with the law and I've got a spare set of 99-02 lights but i really love the look and shape of the 03-06 and i'd like to keep them as original as possible, i was going to just paint the bulbs green ( Red lens + Green Bulb = Orange light) but the bulb paint needed too many coats to be effective and didn't work, now if i could get a set of Green LED bulbs that would probably work but i've not been able to find any so dremel tool and some effort should make me legal. i might do a tint on the spare set for show use only of course lol ;)

Look on superbrightleds.com they have every led out there