Factory Warranty

cwest94

I just had my truck in the dealer this evening for state inspection and to have my broken mirror looked at, and the instrument panel looked at. The state inspection went well (only put 3200 miles on this past year) and my service guy said he needs to order a new passenger side mirror (the heater has been broken for a few months now) and he said they did a test on my instrument panel and found some defects in it, so they also ordered a new one of those as well.

So anyways, he introduced me to someone to talk with about my factory warrenty, which expires in March. They said that I could extend my bumper to bumper factory warrenty for another 3yrs/36k miles for $1195.

Do you think this is a good price to add another few years, or pass?

Has anyone else extended their warranty and thankful they did? Or do you think it was a wast of money?

I just had my truck in the dealer this evening for state inspection and to have my broken mirror looked at, and the instrument panel looked at. The state inspection went well (only put 3200 miles on this past year) and my service guy said he needs to order a new passenger side mirror (the heater has been broken for a few months now) and he said they did a test on my instrument panel and found some defects in it, so they also ordered a new one of those as well.

So anyways, he introduced me to someone to talk with about my factory warrenty, which expires in March. They said that I could extend my bumper to bumper factory warrenty for another 3yrs/36k miles for $1195.

Has anyone else extended their warranty and thankful they did? Or do you think it was a wast of money?

$1195 is worth every bit. I would definitely get it.

I got an extended warranty for $1340 when I bought my truck & I'm glad I did, because I would have spent close to $3000 in the repairs my truck needed during that time.

First to go on mine was the A/C Compressor @ 50K miles. That job was almost $1200.

Next was the front diff. rebuild, and so happened that the gauge cluster died while it was in the shop. That was another $1050 plus $280 for the car rental. (The GM warranty covers $35/dy. for 8 days on a car rental)

Then, I just had the upper intermediate shaft done. That was another $112.

So ... $1195? Yeah, definitely a good investment. You'll get your money back from it, twofold. :thumbs:

my local dealer said my mirror was not repairable (its heater was not working).. they said cuz its 'glass' my warranty doesnt cover it

I didn't think of this till I was driving into work this morning, but does this extended warranty add an additional 36k miles, or is it just 3yrs or 36k which ever comes first? Mine just turned 15k yesterday and I would hate to think that I would only be getting another 14950 more miles added to the warranty.

I think that its a great deal, compare to the web site...

http://www.extendedchevroletwarranty.com/

I didn't think of this till I was driving into work this morning, but does this extended warranty add an additional 36k miles, or is it just 3yrs or 36k which ever comes first? Mine just turned 15k yesterday and I would hate to think that I would only be getting another 14950 more miles added to the warranty.

The way it works is 3/36, whichever comes first, but they determine when it expires from the time you buy it.

So, if your truck has 20K miles on it, and you buy it next month, it's only good for 3 years from next month, and until 56K miles, whichever comes first.

My dealer explained it pretty clear to me that there was no overlap from the existing warranty when buying an extended one. So, if buying one is what you're considering, wait until you're close to the end of your current warranty before you buy. :thumbs:

The way it works is 3/36, whichever comes first, but they determine when it expires from the time you buy it.

So, if your truck has 20K miles on it, and you buy it next month, it's only good for 3 years from next month, and until 56K miles, whichever comes first.

My dealer explained it pretty clear to me that there was no overlap from the existing warranty when buying an extended one. So, if buying one is what you're considering, wait until you're close to the end of your current warranty before you buy. :thumbs:

Okay, so then this should all work out how I want it to then. The original one expires on March 15th, so I'll go in a day or two before that day to extend it. :driving:

Sounds like a good deal ON A GM MAJOR GUARD EXTENDED WARRANTY, don't buy it if is not a GM ext'd warranty!!! How much was the deductible qouted to you? GM has has anything from $0-$200 dollars available on deductibles. Also, if your truck is still under the factory 3yr/36,000 warranty an electrical problem (rear veiw mirror) should still be a covered warranty item. Call the GM 800 number in the back of your owners manual, they should tell you the same thing.....

Sounds like a good deal ON A GM MAJOR GUARD EXTENDED WARRANTY, don't buy it if is not a GM ext'd warranty!!! How much was the deductible qouted to you? GM has has anything from $0-$200 dollars available on deductibles. Also, if your truck is still under the factory 3yr/36,000 warranty an electrical problem (rear veiw mirror) should still be a covered warranty item. Call the GM 800 number in the back of your owners manual, they should tell you the same thing.....

I was just told that it extends the factory bumper to bumper and no deductible was ever said, I was just told that its still the same warranty thats on it now from GM and still also includes free rental and road assistance. Guess you guys have helped me come up with some questions to ask.

I was just told that it extends the factory bumper to bumper and no deductible was ever said, I was just told that its still the same warranty thats on it now from GM and still also includes free rental and road assistance. Guess you guys have helped me come up with some questions to ask.

check real good, i was told mine 5yr/100k was bumper/bumper, 0 deductible doors and trim NOT covered :fume: so ask what is and what is not...

good luck

:seeya:

LOL. Damn stealerships ... :mad:

I was told the same thing at first ... "It Extends the Factory Warranty" ... and then, in my case I asked about overlap, which is THEN when they proceeded to tell me that the extension goes into effect from date of purchase, rather than just activating when the existing warranty expires.

In the statement they made to me ... there was truth ... just not the whole truth. I had to dig for it.

I guess what we're trying to say here ... is CYA. Because the stealership won't do it for ya. :thumbs:

Nobody sells an extended "bumper to bumper" warranty, but GM's is the MOST THOURGH! It excludes glass, noises, weatherseals, spark plug wires, tires, and other MAINTENCE items. The dealer should have a GMPP broucher that has EVERYTHING listed that is NOT covered. Trust me dudes/dudettes, GM or nothing....

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

I know I got in on this thread kinda late... I'm glad it came up though. I still have a year or so on my warranty, but I have been thinking about extending it. My brother put one on his 99 silverado from GM back in the day and it was worth every penny.