Adult ADD

SS Silv

Yes I know, this is WAY off topic. But does anyone else suffer from adult ADD. By which I meen you can't pay attention worth a shit. I am not talking just a minor case, but a serious case which it effects your performance at school and work. If so, what have you done or are doing to overcome it. Mine is getting real bad. I could be in class for 2 hours and not be able to tell you a single thing we went over because I was off in space. Also at work it is tough to get one task done because I get so distracted by other things. Basically I am getting tired of it, and medications such as "stimulants" are not an option for me.

Anywase if anyone has experience with this please chime in.

I feel like I have it from time to time. Best thing to do is to remember your F***** if you dont pay attention.

I had it when I was a kid too, and had the old school therapy for ADD. ;)

As far as school goes, I sit up in front and get involved in the class. If I am not doing that I am writing and taking notes. Stay active keeps you from day dreaming.

But if its a serious problem and regular advice cant help you its time to see the docs and put yourself on the pill.

I never had a problem with it when I was a kid, but am pretty sure I'm getting it. I hope it doesn't get any worse. Luckily I don't have to worry about school and I have a job that keeps my mind occupied. I never want to have to take a pill for it, cause I don't want to be a zombie.

Working with high school students and adult training with this obstacle first thing I reccommend, stronlgy, is write everything down. When trying to complete tasks place them in order from high to low priority. Once a task is completed check it off or draw a line across the task when it is completed. When ever you feel or see yourself drifting refer to your list and try to refocus.

This method might seem a bit petty and even frustrating at first, but if you are consistant after three weeks you will ask yourself how you ever managed without it. (Use of a planner/schduler.)

Hope this helps, if not let me now, plenty of more strategies I have utilized with others.

gin

I think we all have some form of this ... One way or another ... It definetly seems to get worse, the older we get. I sit there and loose track of thoughts all day long. In the old days you were just forgetfull ... nowadays they call it ADD.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been up on the stand, testifying in court, being cross examined about a huge drug case, and all I can think about is everything else, but the case!!!!

Don't worry ... your not alone out there ....

Working with high school students and adult training with this obstacle first thing I reccommend, stronlgy, is write everything down. When trying to complete tasks place them in order from high to low priority. Once a task is completed check it off or draw a line across the task when it is completed. When ever you feel or see yourself drifting refer to your list and try to refocus.

This method might seem a bit petty and even frustrating at first, but if you are consistant after three weeks you will ask yourself how you ever managed without it. (Use of a planner/schduler.)

Hope this helps, if not let me now, plenty of more strategies I have utilized with others.

gin

My wife has it, and that's the one thing that really helps her. She makes a list just about everyday of stuff she needs to do just to destress.

:crackup: Kinda like walking into a room and forgeting what you walked in there for :crackup: I do that like 200 times a day :banghead:

i do that a lot too. but as soon as i walk out i remember again, and that sucks even more.

Edited by wody (see edit history)