Qustion about car seat placement in SSS

r8rs4lf

Well the time has come that my wife heads back to work after maternity leave. We now have my inlaws watch my daughter so I can get some sleep when I get home in the morning. Only for four hours at the most. Anyways, I have to now use the carseat in my SSS. All this time, we have been using the carseat in my wifes Yukon XL which is placed is the middle of the middle row seat, no big deal. Since my SSS is an extended cab, the car seat doesn't really fit flush back there. If I have it in the middle of the rear bench, the seat slightly rubs against my leather. I can move it behind the passengers seat and move the seat all the way foward and it's good to go. My question is, can I just put the carseat in the front seat of my truck facing rearward? I'd rather have easy access to her that way instead of having to reach in the back. I have an '04 SSS so I can turn off the passengers side airbag. Can anyone point me to what California law states maybe?

I would not suggest using the seat in the front. I do not trust the electronics enough to prevent the bag from blowing in the event of a head-on. I had a bowling ball in a case on my front seat once and the airbag "auto" control didn't work, it still said airbag-off. For some reason, from that day on, I do not trust it. Safety is safety when it comes to my kids and I have the seat in the middle of the bench seat in the back. I once had it on the pass side rear but as you stated, it is a tight squeeze. There is no way the seat is going behind me.

What brand of carseat? We had a Graco that we put in the middle back seat in mine using the L.A.T.C.H system. It fit just fine, and I have to have the seat all the way back. Also used a small bathroom rug under it so it wouln't dig into the seat. I felt better with it back there than up front.

yeah up front is a bad idea. so is the sides in the back also .... due to t-bone situations. I had our child seat in the middle back of my SS and it worked fine ... just use some towels or something to stop the rubbing from marking up your leather ... it will be fine. I used a piece of wood under the seat for some stability ( leveling ).

the weight limit for the auto on off of the passenger side airbag i believe is either 40-50 pounds for it to turn on which is why your bowling ball didn't turn it on. I used the middle postion forward facing in the rear seat. I think why yours rubs is the age of the child and how far you have it reclined.

:withstupid: Yeah don't use the front seat. The most important thing is to make the car seat stable, my stepson was 2 when he and his mom were involved in a side impact, and he was completely fine except the car seat tipped over on its side. My daughter was involved in a *major* side impact with her aunt and because of the way the top of the car seat was anchored it did not tip over. And if you cannot get the car seat rock steardy in the center of the back seat then the next safest place (statistically) is behind the driver's seat. The only problem with that is when the kids get old enough they kick against the seats, that was the only thing the kids ever did that really torqued me off in the car, finally I demanded they not wear their shoes in the back seat for that reason.

Mr. P.

The only problem with that is when the kids get old enough they kick against the seats, that was the only thing the kids ever did that really torqued me off in the car, finally I demanded they not wear their shoes in the back seat for that reason.

Mr. P.

Thanks P,...that made my day! :crackup: Been there :nonod:

The only problem with that is when the kids get old enough they kick against the seats, that was the only thing the kids ever did that really torqued me off in the car, finally I demanded they not wear their shoes in the back seat for that reason.

Mr. P.

I frequently take my neice 3 and nephew 1 1/2 ;but the size of a three year old in the truck. I just move the seat up a bit and sometimes I put a cloth over the seats so they dont get scratched. BUT they never wear their shoes, I always just say they slipped off and then change the subject. ;)

It's really not a seat rubbing issue, I can always fix that. It's more of a convenience thing for me if I have to get to her. I'd rather have her upfront with me, but if it's unsafe or illegal then I won't do it. Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind not having her up front? Also, the front seat airbag was made to turn off for this particular reason right or is it for older children?

For the past three years I have put my daughter in the middle of the rear seat using two different seats in that time span. Someone also bought use one of these from babiesrus.

car seat pad

Edited by thallent (see edit history)

It's really not a seat rubbing issue, I can always fix that. It's more of a convenience thing for me if I have to get to her. I'd rather have her upfront with me, but if it's unsafe or illegal then I won't do it. Can anyone tell me the reasoning behind not having her up front? Also, the front seat airbag was made to turn off for this particular reason right or is it for older children?

Pretty sure its for older children, It is more convenient for you to be next to her but I would get a bit nervous...

Mr. P.

:withstupid: Still there.