100k mile tune up

FwyFlyr

:cheers: Nothing major....the usual steering clunk and front diff noise....I often tow a 6k lb trailer too!

I have a Volant CAI, PCM for less tune, custom exaust and a Zippy shift kit. 80 % of the miles are highway, and I still have the factory brake pads! I love this truck! I want to get 250k out of it.

:cheers: Nothing major....the usual steering clunk and front diff noise....I often tow a 6k lb trailer too!

I have a Volant CAI, PCM for less tune, custom exaust and a Zippy shift kit. 80 % of the miles are highway, and I still have the factory brake pads! I love this truck! I want to get 250k out of it.

I'd replace those brake pads lol :crackup:

quote]

What about injectors? valve seals/guides?

Maybe injectors....but valve seals/ guides? I'm not ready to open the motor.....when that time comes, I have other plans :jester:

I've just wondered what real life experience is, seems like any BBC I've owned had totally shot valve stem guides & seals at 80K-miles (canted valves :ughdance: ) and SBC's seem to need freshening-up at the 100-120K mark; just wondered if anyone had experience on how the LS1 valve guides/seals hold up after high mileage.

Mr. P.

quote]

What about injectors? valve seals/guides?

Maybe injectors....but valve seals/ guides? I'm not ready to open the motor.....when that time comes, I have other plans :jester:

I've just wondered what real life experience is, seems like any BBC I've owned had totally shot valve stem guides & seals at 80K-miles (canted valves :ughdance: ) and SBC's seem to need freshening-up at the 100-120K mark; just wondered if anyone had experience on how the LS1 valve guides/seals hold up after high mileage.

Mr. P.

An injector flush would probably be in order.

Honestly, we don't sell many internal components on LSx engines. Except for gasket every once in a while. Unless you get someone that just abuses it, or runs it out of oil. My wife's Tahoe has 120K on it and doesn't use or leak a bit of oil (knock on wood). It's really good low maintenece engine compared to the old stuff.

I would check the brakes. I did my wife's a couple of weeks ago, and at 120K it still had 1/4 pad left on the originals. But, they were glazed over, the rotors had .005 runout, too. Machined the rotor, replaced the pads, and it stops muuuuuuch better.

You must have gotten a good one out of the 03's like me...I've never had any issues or problems with anything on mine! I'd do an injector flush, a trans flush, cooling system flush, and change the fluids in both differentials. Plugs and wires would be a nice upgrade as well.

Everything everyone else said.

I would start with a Sea Foam treatment in the Engine oil, drive it for about 100 miles then spray out the TB and intake with carb cleaner, do a Sea Foam treatment to the upper half of the engine, oil change (run 10W30 if you aren't already), plugs and wires. Take the truck in for a bench-top injector cleaning. In that order.

I would then do the other oils/lubes as mentioned along with PCV, fuel and air filter. If you still are on stock breaks, nice work but do check them, and maybe bleed them with new performance fluid.

Keep us posted! :driving:

I would replace all filters, plugs, and wires

tranny flush

oil change

coolant flush

front & rear diff service

injector flush (motor vac)

belt & hose check

brake check

4 wheel computerized alignment(if your SS has never had one)

:chevy:

seems like any BBC I've owned had totally shot valve stem guides & seals at 80K-miles (canted valves :ughdance: ) and SBC's seem to need freshening-up at the 100-120K mark; just wondered if anyone had experience on how the LS1 valve guides/seals hold up after high mileage.

Mr. P.

Well, I know the LQ9 is not a big block. It has the same bore and bore spacing as a small block 350, but with a slightly longer stroke. I also thought that the LQ9 had roller rockers with roller tips, which helps alleviate the sideways pressure on the valve stems. The old stamped steel rockers actually put a sideways pressure on the valve stems.

Mike

What was done for the front diff noise if anything? :dunno: Congrats on the 100 K miles! :chevy: