Truck is actin funny.

johnny5th

Hey Guys i need a little bit of help. i dunno what to tell the guys at the dealership to fix if i take it there.

So lately while driving down the road, i've caught the check engine light blink on and off just once, didnt know if i was imagining things or what. but then it happened again last night. nothing different happens with the ride of the truck when this happens, nor do i drive it differently when it happens.

Also, i've noticed that its been idling a bit weird, kind of like a vibration from side to side, but nothing really noticeable unless you really sit there and listen.

Another thing, while driving down the road, it feels like theres some on/off hesitation of the engine sometimes just going straight at a steady speed. i almost though it was my breaks or tires, but i had those checked out and rotated to be sure, but it still does it every now and then.

And the last thing, today on the way from the bank, i gave it a bit of gas at a greenlight to get around someone quickly so i could turn into the bank a block away, and it revved all the way to about 5000/5500 RPMS in 1st/2nd gear (cant remember) and i basically had to just let off the gas till it fixed itself.

Anyway, i know i suck at explaining these things, but i wondered if any of you guys had any ideas on whats up.

Flashing CEL usually indicates a misfire, which is right in line with the strange idle/vibration you are describing. Random misfire is usually more prevelant at higher rpms though, not at idle, and are a sign of a burnt plug wire. Do you have headers, which can cook plug wires if not routed correctly?

Not sure about the truck winding out before shifting though, but I have had that happen once in a great while too.

None the less, the dealer should ba able to read a code in the pcm's memory now, showing the problem. Just have them write it up for intermittent flashing CEL.

Take to AutoZone & have them do a free scan on it ... ask them to pull stored & pending codes.

I'm with pnblwzd, intermittent flashing MIL is usually a misfire issue.

Regarding the delayed 1-2 shift ... dunno what's going on there. :dunno:

I'd go to the dealer and tell them it has a "SES" light on internitently and that you have felt it bog down or lose power at times when driving. "Like a misfire,etc". If you go to Autozone or Pepboys the scanner they use might clear the codes, making it usless to a GM tech! It's probably a spark plug, plug wire, coil, O2 sensor. or something similar??? :fingersx:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

Well i took it to the dealership, mentioning yalls ideas, and it didnt have any codes registered. That sucks.

But they wanted to take a look at it anyway, so we'll see by later this afternoon if they actually find anything wrong. they never do.

maybe i just need to drive it till something breaks :driving:

i had "something" like this hapen to me a week ago leaving school. it was so cold (-10*) and i started up the truck. let it warm up a lil and went to go drive. its sounded weird. like it was sucking in air. like a whinding noise, but i moved then when i stop'd to let someone let me go i steped on the gas and the check enigne light flashed, the rpms went up and down like rapid, the radio cut in and out and the lights were flashing on off. and it wouldnt move, so i thought i was in neutral, but i wasnt the rpms went up and i didnt go anywere and i was rolling to i steped on the brakes and they were like a rock(no pun intended). and the truck was running so as i roled i shut it off and put it on and it came back to normal. i also suck at explaining things but its very very weird when your truck acts up on you!

sounds just like the issue was having. remove the metal boot covers from the plug wires..

highway and road drivablity will be better

but the idle roughness.. i get that too!! im glad im not the only one..

feels like a hesitation, or a miss, doesnt it?

if someone finds a cure.. please let us know!

get some 8.5mm MSD plug wires.. cuz the dealer will tell you first its the wires, and charge you 250 bucks to replace them.

my 89' is acting the same way, we just put another 4.3 in it and my dad thinks it might be something with the power. we are going to check all the power cables and ground wires and clean terminals etc..... it could be as simple as that making all that trouble, it sounds weird but i trust him he has been a mechanic for 20 years now.....i hope he knows what he is doing :thumbs:

i get taht split second flash ..i thought i was seeing things ...but one day i happend to be looking at the dash when it did it...i also get the on again and off again c.e.l ...the last time i checked it it was a evap leak small code...ive been to lazy to check it lately andi have a snap on scanner aka the red brick and another scanner here at home...one day i will fix it...untill then i will just ignore it

the SES light sounds like a random misfire, check/replace your plug wires

The trans hanging in gear and shifting towards the redline sounds like a stuck valve in the valve body. When was the last time your trans was serviced?? You might want to consider a flush.

:chevy:

I have a ghost in my truck. Every once in a while, a light on the dash will come on and go out while driving. Cargo light sometimes, security symbol, and DTC. I have no codes and have actually had my laptop logging a run when it happened,...nothing was out of the ordinary.

If I let the truck sit for a week and drive it,...throw on the overhead map lighs, my cargo light indicator on the dash will come on for about 2 seconds. :dunno:

See any trend with only 03's having this issue?

Ok well i left my truck at the dealership over the weekend..... and the found *drum roll*

absolutely nothing :banghead:

it hadnt thrown any codes, they drove it for over 15 miles (probly why they didnt charge me a dime) and said it drove like a champ.

i havent had any problems with it the past 2 days, but i still think it drives a bit rough. im thinking it also might be time for new shocks.

also, with you guys who suggest spark plug wires, how much are they? what kind do i get? how hard are they to replace for someone scared to break something under the hood? and even if my stock ones are fine, will they help performance any?

MSD 8.5 mm wires.. get them at any store i think

NGK tr55 (i think thats the type) plugs at autozone

65 for wires

maybe 20 for plugs??

I think i'll go ahead and get those... theres a local shop that carries the wires, but i cant see the plugs on auto zone... ill look around a bit more for em around here though.

Maybe that'll fix all my problems, along with my Tune comin from zippy :thumbs: