My first "meaningful" kill

Vortec MAX

Today I was headed over to look at a trailer for my boat when I saw this young man in a neon blue Subaru WRX wagon weaving in and out of traffic trying to get someplace fast. He ended up next to me on a 4 lane rural road at a stoplight. I thought to myself, "this guy will kill me, but what the heck." Light turned green and I punched it. He obviously didn't expect that, so I caught him off guard. I could see him scrambling to get going in my rear view mirror. As he went through first gear he started to close the gap a little. When he shifted to second, I saw the front of his car jump but I started to walk away from him. When he hit third, I was walking away even more. By this time I had to let off because my turn was coming up.

I was surprised my truck did that well against a WRX. He obviously didn't know I planned to race him, but he couldn't catch me either (or close the gap).

Anyway, I felt pretty good about it. It was fun.

Mike

Good kill. Those regular WRX's are mid 14's to low 14's and they are all launch. What I mean by this is they depend on the launch to be quick in the quarter. They tank after second gear for whatever reason. I would think they wouldnt being a turbo, but everyone I have raced would take me out of the whole and nose dive after 50mph. Kind of like a stock SSS does. I raced an STI in my dads LT1 Z28 (its has some mods) and he took me out of the hole on the launch and I was running up his a$$ by 60mph. It's weird, but I've raced at least 8-9 of them that I can remember and the outcomes were always like that. Freeway racing them...all day long. Remember, they are still just a 4cylinder. Impressive car with the turbo etc., but still a 4 cylinder.

Good kill. Those regular WRX's are mid 14's to low 14's and they are all launch. What I mean by this is they depend on the launch to be quick in the quarter.

Well, in all fairness, he didn't get to rev at the light and get a perfect launch. I put three to four truck lengths on him while he tried to spool up and go. The outcome off the line might have been different if he had launched better, but I still pulled him after he hit second.

After I put 3 to 4 lengths on him off the line, he gained 1/2 truck length or so back while he ran through first gear. After that I walked him, putting an additional 1-1/2 to 2 truck lengths on him.

I honestly did not think I could do that well against one of those. Maybe his runs like crap - who knows?

Mike