I'm Done, It's 408 time

Ok well i am finally fed up to the point i am gonna order my 408 monday. I got spanked 3 gd times tonight. One i deserved the others were low :banghead: The first one was a Harley Davidson F-150. I took him off the line and he walked me from there. I thought it was a regular F-150 till i saw the logo. The second one was a F'in Volkswagen GTI with what sounded like a HUGE turbo. i took him off the line and almost through first till i heard that big as turbo spool and he smoked me. The third one REALLY pissed me off, I got beat by a god damned MIATA little tinny ass fit in the bed of my truck sub 20K car. i dont care if it was an MX-5 it still sucked.

So, That being said, here is the plan as it stands in my head.

Iron LQ9 Block Bored and Stroked to 408

Callies Dragon Slayer 4" Crank

Callies Compstar Rods

Forged Slugs (Undecided Make)

Thats where i get lost. I have the bottom end pinned but i am not sure about heads. Maybe an L92 With a Port and Polish and a good Valve Job. I want to stay N/A since it will make the motor significatly cheaper and prolly last longer. i may want to go F/I later but in the beggining i am looking for a 11.5:1 Compression. Any input is greatly appreciated.

http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=45&catid=3

Order one done and drop it in. Heard good things about these guys and they are pretty reasonable for price. You can build it any way you like it. Looks like you're looking at about $7,200 with the callies stuff you want. It should fend off the pesky little miatas...lol

thanks for the find man, i'm calling them monday. are those heads they list good heads??? and how much more stuff would i need to complete this motor. How much of it would swap from my 5.3L until i can afford to upgrade it.

You will need an intake (decide whether you want to go with an LS style intake like the FAST or LS6, or go with a truck intake) If you go with an LS intake, you will have to make modifications to use the truck accessories and pullies. Personally, I would just go with the truck intake for now. Everything form your 5.3L should transfer over. You may want to upgrade your plugs, wires, coil packs etc. Also, you should get a bigger alternator. You will have to upgrade the fuel system with injectors and a fuel pump. Probably all said and done, you should be out the door in the mid $8k range in parts and the motor. If you pay someone to install it, you will be around $10k. You will also need a custom tune.

TSP is pretty good to deal with. I havn't heard anything negative about their motors. Heads are going to depend really how much you are wanting to spend and how much hp you are wanting. you can go with a stage 2 stock head from West Coast Cylinder Heads that flows really good for $1300ish or you can go all out for a set like afr for $2700.

I think he is asking if the "PRC Stage 3" heads they offer on that paticular long block are any good.

Which I know nothing about PRC heads.

When I spoke with them, they were willing to swap out the heads for Dart heads and $600 additional cost or something like that. So you can have any heads you probably want. Best bet is to jsut call them and hash out what you want and get a final price. I'm sure that 408 with the PRC heads will still put out around high 400's low 500 WHP and push you deep into the 12's. :dunno:

PRC heads are VERY NICE for the price! Infact a friend of mine used a set on his 346 ls1 formula, inwhich I believe he was the fastest to use them, think it was around 9.7o or so. Very nicely done, right out of the box! Full weight leather interior, won HotRods Pump gas Drags most legit street car award last year. Not sure if he was using them @ the time, but i know he did go 9's with tem in a 3700 fbod. Thats saying alot to me!

Well i just got off the phone with LME in Houston. Turns out there like 2 minutes from my house. so they quoted me just over 9 grand for the motor i want. He is e-mailing me a spec sheet and i will post it when i get it. I am psyched. :cheers:

Ok so here is the spec sheet as it stands now.

Short Block:

Eagle 4340 4" Crank (Prolly gonne be callies)

Calllies Compstar 6.125" H Beams w/ ARP Bolts

Wiesco 4.030" Nitrous Pistons

Childs and Albert Dura-Moly Rings

Clevite Main and Rod Bearings

Durabond Cam Bearings

ARP Main Studs

CamMotion Custom Grind

Roll Master Double Roller Timing Set

Ported and Shimmed GM High Volume Oil Pumps

Comp Cams Lifters

Comp Cams Push Rods

Heads:

Trick FLow LS1 Head (CNC Ported)

Ferra one-Piece Stainless Valves

Manley Nex-Tek Dual Valve Springs

Titanium Retainers

Machined Locks and Locators

GM Valve Seals

Heads flow 343CFM

ARP Head Bolts

GM MLS Gaskets

Jesel Shaft mounted Roller rockers

Should be around an 11:1 Comp ratio. I am going to use the stock truck intake to start wit but will proll switch to a vic Jr.

So what do ya'll think???

Edited by ZZebes (see edit history)

Looks pretty strong to me. Should be in the 600hp crank range depending on cam selection. The only hting I'm not 100% sold on is the ported and shimmed Oil pump. Isn't there an aftermarket pump that can do the same thing? Or something from an LS2 or something? See if you can do better on that.

Looks pretty strong to me. Should be in the 600hp crank range depending on cam selection. The only hting I'm not 100% sold on is the ported and shimmed Oil pump. Isn't there an aftermarket pump that can do the same thing? Or something from an LS2 or something? See if you can do better on that.

The guy at LME told me that the High Volume Pump from GM is one of the best pumps out there so i am gonna stick with it.