First Time Bracket Race

rickr0463

Well guys, took the SSS to the track for my first experience bracket racing. What a blast, although my reaction times sucked :banghead: 1st time run was a SC Cobalt SS, jumped him out the hole ( 1/8th mile btw ) but he beat me to the line by about a half car. Dont know much about those cars, but I was tickled that he only beat me by that much for a heads up run. 2nd time run against 03 Suburban, killed him by 5 lengths. 3rd time run against a BMW M3, and he got me by 2 lengths. My 3 times runs were as follows 9.253; 9.342; 9.271. Not even gonna mention reaction times LOL. Elimination rounds I get stuck with the damn BMW. I dialed a 9.26, and just as we were called to the lanes I was thinking of change dial to 9.30 but did'nt. M3 dial was 8.50. I take off and SSS is digging, but I dont see the M3, and think, damn were is he. He just nipped me at the traps. Should have changed to the 30, so I saywhat the hell, buy back and try again. Get called to staging lanes....DAMN IT....M3 again. This time I dial the 9.30 and he had changed his to 8.47. End result, he gets me again by 1 length, and I called it night. All in all, I was happy with the showing I gave, and I am hooked. Time for some more mods :driving: . Side note, my buddy brought his GTO (436 rwhp) and on his 2nd time run and snapped the stock CV type axles.

It is very addictive. I ran in a bracket race at my local track last weekend and won. I got $70 and a trophy. Last round I was against an S-10 running 7.40. I dialed a 9.11 and ran dead 9.11 with a 1.35 reaction time. I also ran against a bone stock Trailblazer SS 2wd before the racing began. I got him out of the hole and beat him to the end but he ran a faster time. I ran a 9.07, he ran a 8.99. I know he was about 2,000 lbs lighter but dang, he was stock.

It is very addictive. I ran in a bracket race at my local track last weekend and won. I got $70 and a trophy. Last round I was against an S-10 running 7.40. I dialed a 9.11 and ran dead 9.11 with a 1.35 reaction time. I also ran against a bone stock Trailblazer SS 2wd before the racing began. I got him out of the hole and beat him to the end but he ran a faster time. I ran a 9.07, he ran a 8.99. I know he was about 2,000 lbs lighter but dang, he was stock.

Sounds like you had fun.

The TBSS curb weight on a 2wd shows to be 4450 dry. (no fuel/oil)

Mine came in at 4775 with my fat ass and 1/4 fuel.

8.99 in the 1/4 is about right for stock.

I ran 8.72 my first time with tune only.

Glad to hear you've been bitten by the bracket bug! You're right...it's very fun, addictive, and very expensive! Welcome to the bracket club...I thought I was the only one!

Thanks, now all I need to do is work on the reaction times...first time out, was worried about red lighting. Did'nt want to lose that way, but I will learn. Need to do some modding too. :driving:

If you want better reaction times, you could try deep staging. I did that when I first started bracket racing two years ago. I could get consistant .007-.042 lights. It cuts your ET down a little though. I don't deep stage anymore as I've gotten used to the lights now. I usually try to go every other Wednesday night during racing season, although I only went about 9 times last year. I've got 12 trophies from races I've won in the past two years. It's very addicting.

If you want better reaction times, you could try deep staging. I did that when I first started bracket racing two years ago. I could get consistant .007-.042 lights. It cuts your ET down a little though. I don't deep stage anymore as I've gotten used to the lights now. I usually try to go every other Wednesday night during racing season, although I only went about 9 times last year. I've got 12 trophies from races I've won in the past two years. It's very addicting.

Thanks for the pointer....I will definitely try that. With the MOV, I could have beaten the SC Cobalt and M3 if I had'nt been so slow on the lights.