Not Very Happy

Am I mistaken or shouldn't my cam be loping at idle. I finally got around to putting my cam in tonight and it sounds like the stock cam. It idles smooth, not even a hint of lope. I bought it used and it's supposed to be a Comp Cams 222/224, 566/568 @112. I swear, I think it's a stock cam the way it idles. I figured I would have trouble keeping it running to get it to the tuner. Maybe the wrong cam got boxed and shipped.

Edited by CNE (see edit history)

dont take offense but are you sure you put the new one back in? you might of pulled it out and tossed it back in

or where did you get it from? most cams have markings on the end of them

I bought it from a fellow member which I will not throw under the bus just yet. I'm 100% sure the old cam is on the workbench. The cam had 1700 miles on it. The one I got it from bought it from someone else on here and never installed it. It may be that we both got took. All I know is that it idles as smooth as it did before. I hit the key expecting it to barely idle since the tune is still stock. I have it set to take to the tuner on Monday. I'm just disgusted right now, all that work for nothing it seems. Maybe that's how it's supposed to idle, I just was under the impression, I was going to really notice the bump.

I wasn't looking anything quite that choppy. I talked with a local speed shop and told him I wanted good driveability (with tune) but to be able to tell it was cammed if you heard it. He suggested a 224/224, 563/563 @114, he said he has used them several times and it was a good streetable cam. I found the one I bought on here for sale, called him back and he said it would have a liitle more lope that the other one but would still be a good cam. So I bought it. I'm serious guys, it sounds as smooth as stock to me. The engine doesn't twitch, you can't even feel it running in the truck. I expected to have idle problems until I could get to the tuner on Monday. If it's right, I'm dissapointed, if it's the wrong cam, I'M PISSED!!

No, if I remove it, I will replace it with something that is more like what I wanted it to be. I talked with the tuner today, he said that it would not be very lopey but should be noticeable. He said he could tell once he got it on the scanner if it was stock or not so I guess it goes to him Monday as planned.

not really to do a cam swap right you should do new springs to accomidate the higher lift of the new cam and new pushrods are usually needed and retainers and locks are never a bad idea.

Have you driven it to see if there's a power difference? My GT2-3 idles like stock or maybe even a little smoother, but I can tell a power difference when driving - and it's only a 207-220. With the specs you are listing, I would think you should hear a difference.

Did you look at the end of the cam prior to installation for marks/engraving showing what it is, as the other guys mentioned? If not, maybe pull the timing cover/cam gear/retainer and have a peek Kinda sucks to have to drain the rad and pull it apart again, but at least you'll know what you got. Or let the tuner give his opinion first.

Edited by pnblwzd (see edit history)