HVAC noises...

SuperDave

Hey Guys,

My 2003 SS has around 15,000 miles on the clock (it's my weekend funtime family wagon truckster) and I've heard about every complaint that the average SS owner has reported here but have only experienced the steering wheel clunk, front diff. growl on right hand sweepers, and the loose pitman arm, which resulted in the replacement of my steering gear box. And of course the tailgate supports cables.

One I am currently experiencing that I've not heard about here is the crazy noises coming from the general area of the blower fan housing. It's a very rhytmic noise, like something spinning, but not really. I've had the stealership replace the blower fan (or at least they told me they did) and was told it fixed the problem. The next day I heard it again.

It comes and goes, but now it's with me almost everyday I drive the truck. Sometimes worse than others and it even does it for a while after you switch off all HVAC functions.

My truck is out of the original GM warranty on years, but as mentioned earlier it only has 15K on it. I did buy a Pinnacle 7 year 70,000 mile extended warranty at time of purchase (1995.00) which I'm wishing I would have passed on.

I can't get anywhere at the dealership, they don't know what the problem is and I need help. To me, the noise sounds like it's related to the diverter plenum that shifts the airflow to vent/defroster etc... It might be some sort of a vacuum leak or something but it can get really loud at times so I'm not sure.

I do remember someone reporting a gurgling sound, but that's not the case with mine.

I'm all out of ideas and haven't seen many familiar faces on the site lately, but I'm hoping anyone with the same problem will respond about my issue.

I would really appreciate some forum wide input on the matter.

Are there any old timers from the first year still around? Or have most of them swapped off the SS and gone on with normal life?

Thanks for the help! :happysad:

Mine does this too on very cold mornings until the truck warms up to about 60. I have only noticed it during the winter months. I think it tries to split the air to the Defrost and Floor vents. It sounds very timed like you are saying and continues for about 5-10 minutes.

P.S. very cold in my mind is anything below 10 to -20 degrees. I noticed this the worst last week when the outside thermo on the mirror said -21

Mine does this too on very cold mornings until the truck warms up to about 60. I have only noticed it during the winter months. I think it tries to split the air to the Defrost and Floor vents. It sounds very timed like you are saying and continues for about 5-10 minutes.

P.S. very cold in my mind is anything below 10 to -20 degrees. I noticed this the worst last week when the outside thermo on the mirror said -21

Hey Barney,

Thanks for the reply. I'm in SouthWestern Oklahoma and it's in the upper 70's here today and the SS is making the noise so I don't think it's temp related. For me, it's mainly when I'm using the AC that it does it. But what gets me is it continues when you turn off the switch! It started it early last year and has done it intermittently ever since.

Maybe some more guys will sound off shortly!

See ya!

I have a similar problem. Mine whistles .... When it is cold out, it really whines. I have had the blower motor replaced two times. The new one is only 5 months old and it is doing it too .... But the dealership has been good about it, and replaced with no problems.

Sometimes mine sounds like the squirrel fan inside the housing is rubbing or something, other times it sounds like a air sucking noise through a rubber diaphragm. I can't think of a means to describe it and to relate how it really sounds would have to try to do a sound clip of it.

All I know is, it makes the truck sound like a P.O.S. and is very embarassing to say the least. I have to get this fixed or I'll probably end up KILLING something!

:shakehead::banghead: :banghead:

I have had some problems with leaves getting into the system, but they eventually blow out if I put the fan on high. I also have to clean leaves out from inside the bottom of the front fender, from inside the front door. The space at the top of the hood lets a lot of stuff in if you live around where there are lots of trees.

Does your truck have the A/C filter set-up, maybe there is sum debrie in there? Or this might be one of the actuationing motors about to go out? I learned that if one goes out and is replaced, they must ALL be ran through a "relearn" proceedure....? GOOD LUCK! ;)

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

• 2 years later...

i know that this topic is pretty old but i just started experiencing these extremely annoying noised coming from the area under my glove box where the a/c blower is. if the a/c is blowing low, the ticking is slow. if i turn the a/c to blow harder, the ticking gets louder and faster. has anyone found out what the issue with this is and how can i fix it?! please help

i know that this topic is pretty old but i just started experiencing these extremely annoying noised coming from the area under my glove box where the a/c blower is. if the a/c is blowing low, the ticking is slow. if i turn the a/c to blow harder, the ticking gets louder and faster. has anyone found out what the issue with this is and how can i fix it?! please help

Either there is something stuck in the blower fan, or the bearings in the blower motor are on the way out....

:withstupid:

It isn't that hard to removed the blower motor & squirrel cage on our trucks. Paper & leaves get in there often and can cause these strange/different noises. Our trucks don't have the OE a/c air filters anymore either (unfortunately), so we should be cleaning them out once a year IMO.

If the noise still persists, then GM had an old TSB stating that the a/c "fresh air" inlet door may not be closing off completely or even binding. In essence, this could also cause a strange noise at diferent fan speed settings. It's something to check into if no foreign debrie is found. GM offered a "kit" to fix the door problem back then.

I had one of these "kits" installed on my 2001 GMC Sierra SLT back in 2003-ish. I had noticed that my 2001 had no "MAC" A/C. I could smell fresh cut grass, exhaust, etc when my truck was supposidly on "MAX" A/C. It was a different truck entirely after this "kit" was installed. I even had stronger air flow on the "MAX" setting from that point forward. My 2001 GMC Sierra had the "AUTO-A/C" control system too.

-Jon