Radix vs. Procharger

I am always considering a SC but if I do wheels it may be a while but I was curious as to why everyone on here seems to go with the Radix set up. From what I have seen the pro charger with the D1sc head unit produces a 60-80% HP increase while the Radix only says up to 120 HP. Saying we have 300 HP to the wheels thats only a 40% increase while Pro Charger would get you to 180-240 more hp. The price is about the same so I would think you would want more bang for your buck is there something I am missing?. :dunno:

Thanks

I am always considering a SC but if I do wheels it may be a while but I was curious as to why everyone on here seems to go with the Radix set up. From what I have seen the pro charger with the D1sc head unit produces a 60-80% HP increase while the Radix only says up to 120 HP. Saying we have 300 HP to the wheels thats only a 40% increase while Pro Charger would get you to 180-240 more hp. The price is about the same so I would think you would want more bang for your buck is there something I am missing?. :dunno:

Thanks

I'm no pro at S/C and I don't even have one yet but i did a good amount of research on them a while back. And while I never compared the procharger I looked a lot at radix vs vortech. Radix seems to just be the the most complete and ease of install kit out there... no tapping into oil pan etc.... For the AWD it's great too because of the instant power the a roots produces however for a 2WD it might be more advantages to get the power at a later RPM similarly to a turbo spooling up.. From everything I've looked out i will be getting a vortech when i get one

Look at the track times if you want proof. AWD hp is not 300 by the way...its in the mid 200's. Some will say the procharger is the best bang for the buck, but I have yet to see it proven. 04chase has proven the vortech is a winner and it got him into the 11's on a stock mill. Krambo has proven the radix is a winner by breaking into the 11's with a cam and meth injection. I have yet to see a procharged truck run 11's and come to think of it, I think ther eis only one procharged truck in the 12's (12.9 at that) on the fastest times list here at silveradoss.com. I know Frank form revolutionraceworks swears by the procharger and he is building a truck right now, maybe he will be the one ot prove the procharger is a winner as well. I think kit for kit out of the box though, I think the radix > vortech > procharger. Now, start adding pullies and tuning, I think the vortech can surpass the radix in performance more easily, but the procharger still remains third. The vortech really shines on strokers and can provide much more boost. The bottom line is there isnt a whole lot of room to work with the radix unless you upgrade to the mp122. Thats another can of worms. Now, I know the ATI procharger has done really well on F-bodies etc, but maybe its just that alot of the truck guys havent bothered with them. I have a radix I am waiting to install once I get my trans done and I am gunning for mid 12's...we will see what happened.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

not to mention the 1600 ft da and 22's.

i agree, the vortech and ati have more room to add. the radix i spretty much only good for 9-10 psi on a 6.0l and thats about all a stock 6.0 will take. so its a good blower if you plan to keep mostly stock. the vortech s trim i had was also not enough similar to the p1sc ati and you will need to upgrade for more boost once the motor can handle it. now maggie has the 122 and has a couple of folks running them so only time will tell.

I'm assuming you have read this VERY DETAILED thread

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13056

Yeah I read that a few times but it never really told me why most choose Radix. Not being a wrencher I really don't understand any of the pros and cons stated in that thread. I am only interested in HP and reliablility. Black2003SS I just threw 300 as an easy reference for percentages. From what I have been told the D1sc can give me over 500hp easy thats why I was asking this question when the Radix is limited to adding only 120 HP. Your right I guess the ATI' s have yet to be proven on the track. Thanks for your responses. :thumbs:

the radix is a relatively maintenance free unit, as compared to the ATI Procharger, which is a self contained unit, meaning you have to change the oil periodically. I like the idea of the Procharger because it is a centrifical s/c which I have heard, has potential for more power, and I have also heard the Radix is a great blower for the 4.8L and 5.3L engines, but has trouble giving the 6.0L all the boost it can handle, but reguardless, the Radix can make some great power, and the Procharger has yet to be proven on the late model Silverados/Sierra. I think the Procharger is just as good as other systems, but like others it has its up's and downs. If Frank were to chime in, he could give you guys all the perks of the ATI Procharger.

well first off i dont think you can say it will give you any amount of max HP..... that depends on SO many other things, a large part being the tune and how the motor was built. the radix claims about 120 whp on a primarily stock 6.0, the procharger is claiming a MAX output (meaning max rated boost, on an engine made for that). i make over 500whp/500wtq on the radix at about 8-8.5 lbs. i made about 265whp stock, so dont worry about 120 being your max. i have nearly doubled my HP output with it, and it takes under 5 hours to install.

also, the procharger does not require oil pan tapping, unlike the vortech. although that may be easier, it is not better. IMO a centrifical needs that oil, if it is self contained its not cooling too well. the vortech is a far better unit and kit than the procharger. i have installed, repaired (many more times than install lol), dynoed, and dnyotuned all three systems many times. here are some of my pros and cons:

vortech:

-looks good under the hood

-great air cooling system

-not an easy install, lots of parts (the corvette is rediculous, cutting and prying for hours on end)

-the t trim can make some serious boost

-once its on, not an easy transition to stock

procharger:

-looks cheap under the hood

-somewhat poor air induction

-changing the belt will take you a few hours(with massive power and FI this is common, sadly)

-self oiled, no lines needed

-lots of power to be made with the right unit

magnacharger:

-ease of installation is unparalled

-simplicity of kit makes returning to stock easy

-comes fully assymbled as a manifold

-limited in its max power limits, when at high boost levels IATs become uncontrollable

-high boost is nearly impossible to achieve

-magnason available warranty is great

the breakdown:

vortech is the best choice for those looking to go big, built motor and big cams. the vortech has lots of potential

magnacharger is an awesome upgrade for a stock or well-modded vehicle. its "under the curve" power is the best of the three. it may not peak the same, but everyday driveablity is FAR more responsive in any and all RPMs

the procharger would take last, but still has high HP potential. most difficult to service

Well I might be able to help a little in the procharger vs radix debate,I am having my procharger installed later this week so I will be able to give a little insight on the gains associatted with the procharger since I go to the track pretty often and plan to go with this setup on the 31st. I am having a D1SC unit with 60 lb motron injectors installed and I have all the pulleys so I plan on running 9-10 psi of boost with it. I am actually leaving in a few minutes to take my truck to michigan to have zippy do my trans to handle te power of the D1SC @ 10psi.After the trans is done frank will be installing the D1 so hopefully I might have it all done and tuned by next week :devil: I'll keep you guys posted on how it comes along. :seeya:

I went with the radix because it's a complete kit and easy to install. I took my time and installed mine and I'm not a gear head. This is the first vehicle I have ever worked on and even I could install the radix. The stock tune isn't the best but it runs good. It makes my ss a lot more fun to drive. I drove it to work all last week and I loved it. I've installed all my mods besides the tranny mods and I'm your average DIY'er. Once I get my new tune from zippy I'm sure I'll love the radix even more. Sure it cost a lot but it's a complete kit. I knew it would offer less power than the vortech but I don't plan on building a stroker or anything like that. Just a reliable fast SS. :ughdance:

Well I might be able to help a little in the procharger vs radix debate,I am having my procharger installed later this week so I will be able to give a little insight on the gains associatted with the procharger since I go to the track pretty often and plan to go with this setup on the 31st. I am having a D1SC unit with 60 lb motron injectors installed and I have all the pulleys so I plan on running 9-10 psi of boost with it. I am actually leaving in a few minutes to take my truck to michigan to have zippy do my trans to handle te power of the D1SC @ 10psi.After the trans is done frank will be installing the D1 so hopefully I might have it all done and tuned by next week :devil: I'll keep you guys posted on how it comes along. :seeya:

Cool that sounds like the unit I have been talking to Frank about myself that is capable of producing up to 16#'s of boost if you need it.

Cool that sounds like the unit I have been talking to Frank about myself that is capable of producing up to 16#'s of boost if you need it.
A couple thoughts - I'm not a fan of the Procharger, not that I'm bagging on it but IMO the other head units are more efficient; OTOH it does make up for it in brute force (boost) and the price is right. You have pretty high performance goals :thumbs: basically that leaves you choosing between the D1SC, the 122 Maggie, and the Vortech T-trim. BTW any of these will destroy your engine without first installing forged pistons or limiting pulley size to keep boost down to reasonable levels.

Another thought, you already have a 2600-rpm converter - if you want to keep it I would stick with the Radix, it's a better fit with that converter; if 12-flat is good enough for you then you could follow Krambo's lead and use the 112 compressor & complimentary valvetrain, if you want more performance potential then the 122 is going to best shine with that converter. If you go D1SC or T-trim you might want to sell your Yank and go to a 2800-3000 rpm converter.

Another thing you need to make sure of is brackets & belt alignment etc. Make sure that whatever kit you decide on won't throw belts, or eat belts, or slip etc.

Mr. P. :)

Another thing you need to make sure of is brackets & belt alignment etc. Make sure that whatever kit you decide on won't throw belts, or eat belts, or slip etc.

Mr. P. :)

how do I make sure about this? 12's would make me HAPPY and I saw a radix MP112 for sale on here for $750 shipped complete kit never been out of the boxes. What to do what to do I want wheels also :banghead:

how do I make sure about this? 12's would make me HAPPY and I saw a radix MP112 for sale on here for $750 shipped complete kit never been out of the boxes. What to do what to do I want wheels also :banghead:

You must have misstyped that $750 ? :wtf: maybe $4750,maaaybe $3750,but no way$750 :banghead: