just got my 160 T-stat from Summit there SO Cool!

2006_superado

well this is the first time i ordered anything from summit, and they sent me a new hat and catalogs.. yeah i know there just trying to hook me so i'll buy me more stuff... well it worked! :jester: i'll get my drop spindles from them when i get around to it, and when it comes time for some traction they got some cheap crager steelys that i can get with some slicks from them.

and there shipping was quick too.

let me know what you guys think of my free hat :cool:

later.

post-8665-1174343526_thumb.jpg

Summit is aok :thumbs: One time (1992?) I bought a bunch of parts from them regularly for a couple years, like probably $5-6K worth, and out of the blue I got a box in UPS just before Christmas, inside was a new satin black Summit Racing jacket and a thank you card. I loved that jacket so much I wore it out!

Mr. P. :)

I was really happy with summit too. i order some plugs and wires and got the hat and catalog it is a nice touch but i don't even wear hats. but i've all ready worn out the catalog :thumbs: i'am nuts when it comes to magazine

there all over the place.

You're just silly, gettin all excited about your new hat. Pretty soon, you'll have a whole stack of 'em - that's when you'll know you're in trouble! :jester:

yeah i know but my truck makes me happy :chevy: and who knows maybe i'll get a T-shirt to match with my next order :dunno:

Summit is aok :thumbs: One time (1992?) I bought a bunch of parts from them regularly for a couple years, like probably $5-6K worth, and out of the blue I got a box in UPS just before Christmas, inside was a new satin black Summit Racing jacket and a thank you card. I loved that jacket so much I wore it out!

you see, thats what i'm saying there realy cool.. i paid $34 for my T-stat, my very first order and i get a cool new hat!.

btw Mr. P

i took a couple pics of the install of my T-stat and was wondering if you wanted to add them to your how-to artical?.. i noticed someone asked about the pics for the new style install?. oh yeah thanks for the purge instructions. :thumbs:

it was realy easy on my truck, took about 30 min's with the pics.

i didn't have to remove anything with my volant, and i did'nt have to remove the hose either.. just unbolted the housing, cleaned it up with some solvant, oiled the O-ring gasket and bolted it back. heres the pics...

edit: the first pic is actualy the last and the second is the first don't know why it did that?.

post-8665-1174354328_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1174354339_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1174354349_thumb.jpg

post-8665-1174354357_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2006_superado (see edit history)

Hell Yeah - will do! :cheers:

so something i did may actualy help someone?.. HA! thats way cool! :cool:

the install was so simple there wasn't much to photo, i wasn't even sure they would be of any use, except for showing the two different styles. it's even easier then the older style i think. well anyway, thanks Mr. P.

P.S. a small byline on one of the pics with my username would be sweet. :thumbs:

then i can rub it in my wifes face! :devil: she laughed and said no one would need them and i was wasting my time with the camera and was getting it dirty for no reason... what a :dupe::crackup:

Edited by 2006_superado (see edit history)

What is the part# for 160 t stat? I need one thanks.

sle-100228 :thumbs:

FYI, the part number is DIFFERENT for the 2003 that's listed in gs430's stats... Correct part number for 160 degree SLP brand for '03 is SLE-100223, or BCI-78012 for Be Cool brand. They also carry a 180 stat JET-10175 from Jet, and a 187 degree stat BCI-78011 from Be Cool.

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

They also carry a 180 stat JET-10175 from Jet

So, just to recap (I am still trying to figure this out) a lower temp thermostat allows the PCM to add more timing without detonation, which results in more power???

The PCM does this automatically because it senses the lower coolant temp, so I don't need a re-tune to take advantage. Is this correct???

Also, since I live in Idaho where it gets cold, would the 180 degree unit work better for me??? I am afraid the heater won't be warm enough when it's below zero outside.

Mike

So, just to recap (I am still trying to figure this out) a lower temp thermostat allows the PCM to add more timing without detonation, which results in more power???

The PCM does this automatically because it senses the lower coolant temp, so I don't need a re-tune to take advantage. Is this correct???

Also, since I live in Idaho where it gets cold, would the 180 degree unit work better for me??? I am afraid the heater won't be warm enough when it's below zero outside.

Mike

You will need to reprogram the PCM with lower temp turn on/off temp settings.

You will get less heatsoak and lower underhood temps, hence more power at full operating temp conditions.

I don't have any experience with these trucks over winter with the lower temp stat, but I agree that the 160 can be to cold in certain conditions. I know my '86 TA had to have a 180 instead of a 160 for winter... If the trucks flow enough water, the colder stat may never open. I think I'll be doing the 180 one too...