My new CAI idea to lower IAT temps

Last summer, I made a "CAI" out of a couple of mandrel bends I got off of EBay and some rubber adapters. Well, without a heat shield, I was noticing a rather LARGE difference from ambient temps to IAT temps at a stop (even on cool days there was a good 30-40 degree difference, and it took for EVER to wash itself back down to within 20-30 degrees of ambient at best).

This is what I've come up with to better seal the intake from under hood heat. It's a modified stock air box that I cut the bottom out to match the hole leading up from the front fender/wheel well area (cut the mount out to match too). I used my custom velocity stack that I made last year and just flared it down to the box opening with an old T-shirt. I've got two layers of fiberglass resin on it now and will put on a few more before I use some glass jelly to smooth it all out and give it some more strength. I temporarily held it in place with hot glue and little pieces of wooden dowel rod, which will easily be removed sometime tomorrow after this fully cures. Once it dries, I'll be using the flat black texture paint that will closely resemble the factory black plastic, then I will paint the piping over to the TB the same black paint... it should come out looking pretty factory.

Here's what I have so far...

post-7241-1174779189_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1174779204_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1174779214_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1174779238_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1174779268_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1174779294_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1174779317_thumb.jpg

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

Last summer, I made a "CAI" out of a couple of mandrel bends I got off of EBay and some rubber adapters. Well, without a heat shield, I was noticing a rather LARGE difference from ambient temps to IAT temps at a stop (even on cool days there was a good 30-40 degree difference, and it took for EVER to wash itself back down to within 20-30 degrees of ambient at best).

This is what I've come up with to better seal the intake from under hood heat. It's a modified stock air box that I cut the bottom out to match the hole leading up from the front fender/wheel well area (cut the mount out to match too). I used my custom velocity stack that I made last year and just flared it down to the box opening with an old T-shirt. I've got two layers of fiberglass resin on it now and will put on a few more before I use some glass jelly to smooth it all out and give it some more strength. I temporarily held it in place with hot glue and little pieces of wooden dowel rod, which will easily be removed sometime tomorrow after this fully cures. Once it dries, I'll be using the flat black texture paint that will closely resemble the factory black plastic, then I will paint the piping over to the TB the same black paint... it should come out looking pretty factory.

thats what you're looking at......

Okay this sorta reminds me of what I was planning on doing. I wanted to mount an Air to Air intercooler in the front bumper grille with tubing up to the intake and an air filter on the other side of the intercooler. This was my Idea for a CAI. Not sure it would help but You can find the Intercoolers for around $100.

Barney

Well I see a funnel and a hairy a$$ arm. What am I looking at?

What? You don't recognize a cut up stock airbox in a T-shirt shroud laden with fiberglass resin? :jester:

Here are some more pics from this morning...

Bottom half of the box shows where I cut out for the lower fender area/wheel well to feed the cool air. I will leave the stock air inlets open too.

post-7241-1174834203_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1174834216_thumb.jpg

The veolocity stack area before trimming and removing the extra t-shirt material with a sharp blade.

post-7241-1174834230_thumb.jpg

Remove the screw and the hole saw disc that I used to stretch the t-shirt down into the opening.

post-7241-1174834241_thumb.jpg

Cut out the extra t-shirt material from the middle.

post-7241-1174834250_thumb.jpg

Showing the open air inlet. This will get another coat of resin and some sanding. You can also see some two part epoxy there that I used to fill some bulk holes where it didn't quite get pulled tight enough to the inlet tube.

post-7241-1174834263_thumb.jpg

Compared to the stock lid piece that I cut off (used a 4 1/2" cutoff wheel on angle grinder, took maybe 2 minutes tops to cut off). The new inlet will feed upwards quite a bit more to a mandrel bend, then into the TB.

post-7241-1174834282_thumb.jpg

Shown sitting on top of the bottom of the box.

post-7241-1174834294_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1174834306_thumb.jpg

Another coat of resin shown here. I'll be putting one more layer of t-shirt on and 2-3 more coats of resin to make it strong before I use 1-2 coats of the fiberglass jelly to smooth it all out.

post-7241-1174834316_thumb.jpg

On the test run it was 83 degrees ambient temp in the shade according to the truck thermometer. IAT temps were 6 degrees above ambient AT MOST sitting at a stop light or idling in a parking lot for 5 minutes and cleared to 1-2 degrees above ambient as soon as the RPM's came up on a launch. Much better than the 100+ degrees IAT temps on a 65 degree day with the old "CAI" that I had made.

Pulls hard right off of the line and pulls harder up top than the stock box or my other CAI.

Final test fit and test run before painting.

post-7241-1174870042_thumb.jpg

post-7241-1174870072_thumb.jpg

I'd be curious to see the numbers off that thing. When are you going to track with it?

Probably never. The nearest track around here is about 2.5 hours away and I just don't care to go that far to only run a 14 second quarter mile. After having a 500 wheel HP '70 vette that would run smoke filled low 12's at 120+ going sideways through the lights, driving this truck is like a Sunday cruise. Maybe once I get some L92/L76 parts on her...

BTW, just in case someone else wants to try this, there is one thing I would do slightly different. Change the angle of the velocity stack and use a 45 degree bend instead of the 90 degree one. Room is kinda tight with the hood and I actually wanted the MAF over closer to the airbox instead of right on top of the upper heater hose. I'm pretty sure that if I can't get this to work out to move the maf over there with the current setup that I'll end up rewiring a Ford IAT over to the airbox itself to get it away from the heat. If I end up getting the cam put in any time soon, I'll probably have to move the maf farther away anyway to avoid reversion... or maybe just go SD tune...