Is there a way to check whats wrong?

WI_Dave

Does the computer check for pad wear or is it going to be something else in the system? Pedal feels the same as it has.

Best way to check pad wear is a visual check ... or micrometer. Computer doesn't monitor pad wear ... would be nice if it did ...

Best way to check pad wear is a visual check ... or micrometer. Computer doesn't monitor pad wear ... would be nice if it did ...

I was just hoping maybe that was causing the light. Dealer wants $85 to scan it :banghead:

Brake light monitors different things. There is also a separate ABS light as well. The brake light will monitor wheel speed sensors used for the ABS system, although, the ABS light should be lit up as well if one of these are bad. Effect? ABS does not work until the sensor is replaced. Brake light also monitors fluid level. Are you 100% sure there is enough fluid in the resvoir? If it is just low enough, it can throw the code after going around a corner or stopping/acclerating harsh enough to slosh the fluid around. It does not monitor pad wear, rotor wear, or even brake temperature. Also, it does monitor brake lights etc. Check all of your bulbs for your stop lights etc. If it isnt electronic, it isnt monitored, remember that.

Also, it does monitor brake lights etc. Check all of your bulbs for your stop lights etc. If it isnt electronic, it isnt monitored, remember that.

I think I do have a brake light out. But it has been out for about a week and it just started the warning Sat. night.

What type of scanner do they have?

Type, as well as what software they purchased is what matters. If they don't have a way to access the brake system, they can't pull codes for it.

They probably have some $99 off the shelf generic OBD2 code reader ... :banghead:

The codes all come from the pcm...so...it really shouldnt matter. I bet the guy didnt know what he was talking about. I've used the scanner at autozone before and it was a nice unit. If you want to "rent it" there is a big deposit of a couple hundred dollars. Autozones might vary though throughout the country. I'm sure it can because all it does is tell you the trouble code and what it is related to. There is a break down of all of the codes at hptuners website and what they eprtain to. I'm 99% sure it will read the brake light code.