Pretty Excited

perk03z06

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HP tuners is great and since you will have it dedicated to that one specific truck, who cares about licensing hoops? The only thing they want to make sure is that their well designed software isnt pruchased by some hack who wants to tune every truck in the country for $10. I was apprehensive at first myself, but after realizing how little I would use it on any other vehicles, I bought it. I also looked at it this way that if I buy another GM that is supported (like a GTO/vette/etc.) I can still use it without buying new credits. The only down side is that you can't help out everyone else on the block or in the neighborhood to read codes etc. Trust me, its worth it and they earned the right to protect what they designed. Softwar piracy is huge and I don't blame them for coming up with a way to curb it. I felt bad for autotap because it was so easy to copy and there were bootleg copies flying all over. I have a cheap autotap software for reading codes on any OBDII vehicle and some OBDI if I need it, but it won't upload/download pcm files etc. I dont know much about LS1 edit, but my understanding is that the licensing per vehicle etc. is similar. They figure if you are going to make lots of money tuning lots of vehicles off of it, they want a chunk of it. I understand and you would want it that way if it was your business.

On topic, the install looks great and I may just tackle something like that next winter. What are the specs on the pc? I remember seeing somewhere a keyboard that fold into three pieces or in half or something and when fully folded out it is half the size of a standard key board. Maybe you could put one on a tray that slides out of the glove box? Maybe it would be to far away from the drivers seat?

Major props on this install..I love working on PC's and have wanted to do somethin like this as well, but it would be difficult in my truck. I wanna wait til I have something w/ more room. Everything is clean and professional looking. Awesome job.

Edited by ChevyMan23 (see edit history)

HP tuners is great and since you will have it dedicated to that one specific truck, who cares about licensing hoops? The only thing they want to make sure is that their well designed software isnt pruchased by some hack who wants to tune every truck in the country for $10. I was apprehensive at first myself, but after realizing how little I would use it on any other vehicles, I bought it. I also looked at it this way that if I buy another GM that is supported (like a GTO/vette/etc.) I can still use it without buying new credits. The only down side is that you can't help out everyone else on the block or in the neighborhood to read codes etc. Trust me, its worth it and they earned the right to protect what they designed. Softwar piracy is huge and I don't blame them for coming up with a way to curb it. I felt bad for autotap because it was so easy to copy and there were bootleg copies flying all over. I have a cheap autotap software for reading codes on any OBDII vehicle and some OBDI if I need it, but it won't upload/download pcm files etc. I dont know much about LS1 edit, but my understanding is that the licensing per vehicle etc. is similar. They figure if you are going to make lots of money tuning lots of vehicles off of it, they want a chunk of it. I understand and you would want it that way if it was your business.

So ... let me verify ... you can do an unlimited number of tunes per the one vehicle that you purchase it for? If that's the case, I'm glad you pointed that out because the way I read their site to be ... a "credit" was worth one data file transfer session ... and it comes w/ 2 credits. So ... 2 tunes, and I thought I'd be locked out. I thought I also read something about their software checking the tune file you're using, and if you import a new tune file (Say one I got from someone on here) that that would also use up a credit. That was what I thought was really :icon_bs:

Time for me to :rant: a little about automotive software companies. I've worked with one for almost 6.5 years ... I agree with you, that "they earned the right to protect what they designed. Softwar piracy is huge and I don't blame them for coming up with a way to curb it." But you mentioned something about AutoTap & Bootleg copies ... Here's the deal, IMO ...

If you are a software company, and you don't take the preventative measures to protect your software from fully functioning if it does not have a valid license, then it's your own fault if it gets bootlegged and used w/o purchase. Our diagnostic software is unique to every PC it's installed on. Every PC has a unique number string that we use to generate an unlock code. So, even if it did get copied & distributed, the end user can't make it work with just the serial number alone. They'd have to call in to customer service to get an unlock code ...

So ... do I feel sorry for the software company that doesn't protect their products properly? ... :crackup: H*ll NO.

But ... if there's other software out there that I can associate only to my vehicle that lets me do an unlimited amount of tuning (On my truck only), and lets me import an infinite number of custom tunes ... that's what I want ... :thumbs:

On topic, the install looks great and I may just tackle something like that next winter. What are the specs on the pc? I remember seeing somewhere a keyboard that fold into three pieces or in half or something and when fully folded out it is half the size of a standard key board. Maybe you could put one on a tray that slides out of the glove box? Maybe it would be to far away from the drivers seat?

Specs on the PC are in my sig ... dimensions are 5.82"x10"x2.79". The rest of the specs on the PC unit can be found Here.

If you remember where you saw that keyboard that folded, and it has a PS/2 interface (NOT USB, NOT for PALM or Pocket PC) I would love to know how to get one. I am considering a full-size keyboard that's wireless ... so I can pass it around inside the truck if I want to ... :thumbs:

I'm not really worried about me needing a keyboard to type ... Windows has a built-in on-screen keyboard that works well through the touchscreen ... I really only need a keyboard so that it will boot up ... the firmware in the motherboard prevents it from booting if it doesn't see a keyboard ... :banghead:

Edited by perk03z06 (see edit history)

Yeah...the credits allow you to register a VIN number. So the package I bought came with 8 credits? I think? Well, I registered my truck VIN specific and used 2 credits. If I wanted to be able to do all 2003 silveraod SS's, I would have used 6 credits or something like that, but onyl 2003 sss's. If you register just your own truck, you can upload and download as many tunes to your specific truck as you want. I pulled my stock tune from my truck, emailed it to zippy, he "tuned" it for my mods, emailed it back, I uploaded the new tune to the pcm, scanned it, sent him the results, he modified it, sent it back to me, I uploaded the changes again, etc. Using the stock tune as the base, I didnt have to do a pcm re-learn. He modified the file just like he was in the truck, only he wasnt getting real time data, he looking at scans I sent him to make his judgements. You wont be disappointed with HP tuners. I still have my stok tune saved in case I ever wanted to go back to stock...lol.

Yeah...the credits allow you to register a VIN number. So the package I bought came with 8 credits? I think? Well, I registered my truck VIN specific and used 2 credits. If I wanted to be able to do all 2003 silveraod SS's, I would have used 6 credits or something like that, but onyl 2003 sss's. If you register just your own truck, you can upload and download as many tunes to your specific truck as you want. I pulled my stock tune from my truck, emailed it to zippy, he "tuned" it for my mods, emailed it back, I uploaded the new tune to the pcm, scanned it, sent him the results, he modified it, sent it back to me, I uploaded the changes again, etc. Using the stock tune as the base, I didnt have to do a pcm re-learn. He modified the file just like he was in the truck, only he wasnt getting real time data, he looking at scans I sent him to make his judgements. You wont be disappointed with HP tuners. I still have my stok tune saved in case I ever wanted to go back to stock...lol.

That's really good info. I'm glad you explained it to me ... because their website definitely led me down the wrong path ... :banghead:

Having the stock tune in storage is one cool thing about having the PC in the truck ... I can switch back and forth right from the driver's seat ... just pull over at a gas station or rest stop and switch back to stock, or load the custom tune if I know I'm getting ready for a race ... :devil:

Thanks! :thumbs::cheers:

Edited by perk03z06 (see edit history)