I got fired for the first time in my life today...

SS_bnoon_SS

Came out of nowhere... I got canned first thing this morning. The reasons were a little unclear, but I believe it came down to I wanted more money than they were willing to pay me and/or I didn't have the money for some Microsoft certifications that they wanted me to get sooner rather than later. Damn it, I loved that job and I worked my ass off night and day for 50-60 hours a week of oddball hours plus on call rotation...

2 weeks severance pay and 2.5 days of vacation accrued so far this year. Bogus... Now I have to go find a new job to pay the bills and will probably end up hating my job yet again if not loosing everything I've worked so hard to get. Last time I was off of work for nearly 3 friggin months. I have to live off of credit cards since I just paid off several bills, moved around some savings into some investments, and was already strapped this month with very little liquid cash at the moment. I thought I was doing good, but the man kicks me while I'm down. This sucks... Why can't a generation X clean cut white male with 14 years experience in the IT/Telephony field catch a break? Aren't I supposed to be a rich yuppie or something by now? :banghead: Instead I'll probably end up refinancing the house and truck and living month to month running odd jobs.

Feel sorry for me? Give donations at paypal [email protected]. Will do html and sigs/graphics work for food. :shakehead:

man that really sucks! all you can do is get out there right away and start looken for work. don't let it get you down. keep your head up.

Yeah, I understand that. I got canned at 9AM today and have been working on resume and sending it out since then. This is the first real break I've taken today. I think I need a few adult beverages now... Where that bottle of Templeton Rye whiskey I got for Christmas... :sick:

Sorry to hear that Brad :shakehead: That is a shitty deal. Couple things to say, first is that this world is full of jobs and I'm sure that at least one or two of them have got to be better than your last job. Second, any place where you are cut loose without warning is no place to be, these are people that you could not work with anyway. Being without a paycheck is tough I know.

One other thing that stinks about your 'incident' - any employer that 'requires' or 'desires' you to be certified as part of the job should have made arrangements to pay for it. In our profession it is considered NORMAL professional courtesy to reimburse books, study materials, & testing costs to keep your certs current if it benefits the company. I got the same reality shock last week, I realized that the most current certs I have is my Win2K MCSD and MCSE from seven years ago (already!) and to get recertified is going to cost like a fortune...

Mr. P. :)

I'm expecting to get laid off any day now myself, which is the same end result as you. Work has been extremely slow for the last couple months, so I'm already looking. 11 years at a company doesn't mean a whole lot anymore :shakehead:

Man that sucks buddy. I feel bad for you. I am still in college currently, but this is the real world stuff that I am going to have to deal with here in a year and a half.

On a side note, I would like a sig made, and will paypal you a little bit of money to help you out along the way. PM me if interested.

Man, I feel your pain. Sorry to hear about that......................... :shakehead: The company I worked for the last 10+ years took a dive and shut the doors on us in Feb..............I walked away with 10 weeks of severance, 120 hours of vacation, and one profit-share check.............I get my last check from them next week, but I start my new job on Monday...... :D ....It's rough, but I know you'll pull through..........just get your resume/name out there ASAP.............I put out an on-line resume, and that had quite a few leads for me.

Sorry to hear that Brad :shakehead: That is a shitty deal. Couple things to say, first is that this world is full of jobs and I'm sure that at least one or two of them have got to be better than your last job. Second, any place where you are cut loose without warning is no place to be, these are people that you could not work with anyway. Being without a paycheck is tough I know.

One other thing that stinks about your 'incident' - any employer that 'requires' or 'desires' you to be certified as part of the job should have made arrangements to pay for it. In our profession it is considered NORMAL professional courtesy to reimburse books, study materials, & testing costs to keep your certs current if it benefits the company. I got the same reality shock last week, I realized that the most current certs I have is my Win2K MCSD and MCSE from seven years ago (already!) and to get recertified is going to cost like a fortune...

Mr. P. :)

Thanks. I've been at jobs that pay you back for things like that too, but these guys would only pay for the test at the end and half of the books. If anyone else knows anything about MCSE, you'll know the test and 1/2 the books are a couple hundred max, but the 1-2 week course to go with it to make sure you pass is a couple grand. I couldn't front that much...

Man that sucks buddy. I feel bad for you. I am still in college currently, but this is the real world stuff that I am going to have to deal with here in a year and a half.

On a side note, I would like a sig made, and will paypal you a little bit of money to help you out along the way. PM me if interested.

Paypal thing was just a joke, but if you really want a sig made, PM me the pics or post in the pics/sig section. Larger the pics, the better. That reminds me, I'll need to download GIMPShop here at the house too...

:shakehead: Brad, sometimes it gets worse sooner rather then later. Anything I can do just pm me.

One way ticket to Miami? If I'm broke, job-less, I may as well be drunk and tanned in paradise! :cheers: Can anyone up the offer to Hawaii? :crackup:

One way ticket to Miami? If I'm broke, job-less, I may as well be drunk and tanned in paradise! :cheers: Can anyone up the offer to Hawaii? :crackup:

Well my neice has a bed here and her own room...I hope you dont mind a toddler bed and a pink room. Your not a tall man right? :crackup: