friend bought new tundra

BlackSS04

Basically what they are calling the PCM you are sending him enough money as a kind of insurance policy so that if you do not return your original PCM he has enough money to buy a new one.

yeah like collateral but how much is refunded to you once you return it? not trying to make a battle of the tuners here, just trying to get that info out, cuz i really don't know. :cheers:

Edited by wody (see edit history)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah like collateral but how much is refunded to you once you return it? not trying to make a battle of the tuners here, just trying to get that info out, cuz i really don't know. :cheers:

I believe it is $125 like I said I kept mine just so I have the spare which has come in handy a few times.

thanks brad :thumbs: . well there ya go dude, most of the info is here so you just gotta make your own decision on who to use.

i need to get these mods in first before i get the tune, but you guys gave good insight into which tune to go with afterwards. thanks again

Edited by BlackSS04 (see edit history)

i sent my pcm to frank he tuned it and sent it back. there is no core charge to deal with.

because they want to. just like what you said earlier, why would you pay 350 somewhere else if you could pay 150 to get the same work done?

frank from rev raceworks is a good dude to deal with. him and zippy are affiliates.

Gotcha. :thumbs:

i need to get these mods in first before i get the tune, but you guys gave good insight into which tune to go with afterwards. thanks again
That's why I'm thinking of buying tuning software.

FRIENDS DONT LET FRIENDS DRIVE TOYOTAS

I tryed to warn him, but he gave in to all the hype about it. To tell you the truth, I wanted him to buy it so I can get a chance to drive the damn thing and see how it performs. And also so I can run him and tell him what a piece a shit it is. :crackup:

Edited by BlackSS04 (see edit history)

I believe with Zippy, he will just send you the file in an email, and you have to have tuning software to download it. pcm4less is sending you a PCM that has the tune that you just swap out.

I believe its $150 If you ship him yours also, or he'll send you a pcm already programed for $250 Thats the way I went so I still have my stock one to bring in to the dealer... service manager instructed me to do this.... That way any new flashes they put to the pcm won't f up your program i guess

Get video of his face like this.... :driving::ughdance::tear::yellow_loser::seeya:

I believe its $150 If you ship him yours also, or he'll send you a pcm already programed for $250 Thats the way I went so I still have my stock one to bring in to the dealer... service manager instructed me to do this.... That way any new flashes they put to the pcm won't f up your program i guess

Get video of his face like this.... :driving::ughdance::tear::yellow_loser::seeya:

I'll just get the pcm already proggramed from him then. thats sounds like a better deal. i like the fact you have your stock pcm for the dealership. good thinking. :thumbs:

that is a good idea, but im out of warranty pretty soon. so i don't really care. just means i can go all out now.

yea but if for some reason you do have to take it in, and they do have to do a reflash on your pcm, its going to erase EVERYTHING, so its still a good idea to keep the stock one, just to switch in and out whenever ur getting work done

yea but if for some reason you do have to take it in, and they do have to do a reflash on your pcm, its going to erase EVERYTHING, so its still a good idea to keep the stock one, just to switch in and out whenever ur getting work done

so then why take the whole truck into the dealer? take the old pcm out of storage, give it to the dealer, and then put it back into storage when you get home. doesn't make sense to have that second pcm for that reason. i don't know, correct me if im wrong. whatever flash the dealer does would have to be for a reason and then to just take it out doesn't make sense to me. i've done reflashes on internationals and freightliners for power, a/c, and coolant level sensor perameters and if i were to just take the pcm out and put an unflashed pcm in i would have wasted my time flashing them.

theres certain problems that can go wrong with the truck like engine problems, tranny, etc. im not sure exactly the protocol because i dont work at a dealership, its not so much them NEEDING to reflash the pcm, its them fixing a problem that you bringing it in for and procedure requires them to reflash it. i mean if you did have problems you couldnt just drop the truck off then pull out the pcm and tell them to go to work, and you couldnt just bring in the pcm, its a package deal. from what ive seen on this site, A LOT of the members use the ss as their toy and dont drive it everyday. i dont have an ss, but a vho, but mine is my daily driver so when i eventually do get a tune, im going to keep my pcm so i can switch it in and out if needed.

i know you wouldn't just bring the pcm in without the truck or the other way around, i was trying to make a point.

its not so much them NEEDING to reflash the pcm, its them fixing a problem that you bringing it in for and procedure requires them to reflash it.

right, then you swap the pcms out doesn't that make the re-flash pointless

just trying to make sense of this.

i think i mis-read your post, sorry. all im sayin is that for my situation, im going keep the stock pcm, so when i do have to take it in im just going to switch them before i go in, and switch it back after. sorry for the miscommunication