truck ideling funny

brobradh77

I have noticed over the past couple of weeks my truck is ideling funny when I start it. I only have 8600 miles on it so I wouldn't think anythin would be going out this soon. Like today I went out to start it for the first time today weather isn't cold or anything and it died twice in a row right after it fired up before it would stay running. It seems that once it has been started once it doesn't do it any more. Any ideas I do have a custom tune if you think that could be the culprit.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what kinda funny idle? i know mine was idling wierd and i just raised the target idle rpm. Imma try something else cause ive changed wires, plugs and air filter. Seems like my engine isnt running exactly right seems like its missing. Let me know what you find out on yours.

I am getting no trouble codes or anything. It idles like it wants to die and it took me 3 times this morning before it cranked over and stayed running. I am curious if maybe my MAF sensor needs to be cleaned or something. Excuse maybe a stupid question since I am no mechanic but is it normal to have what looks like water dripping out of the exhaust?

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

water out ur exhaust is nothing to worry about. prolly set the idle to l ow on ur chip

This particular tune has been in this truck since the first of February could it really take this long for that problem to arise? Or has it aslways been ther but just getting worse?

:withstupid: Double-check all plumbing between air cleaner & throttle body, you might have a leak; with truck running spray starting fluid around boots/seals and see if the idle RPM change... Also take electronic cleaner and clean the MAF wires.

probably because it is black.it is jinxed
I'll remember you said that :devil:

Mr. P. :)

Excuse maybe a stupid question since I am no mechanic but is it normal to have what looks like water dripping out of the exhaust?

gasoline does not contain water, however, water is a by product of the combustion of gasoline. gasoline does contain hydrogen, and when gasoline is burned, some of that hydrogen combines with the oxygen being used to burn it, producing water. most of the time, the exhaust is hot enough that the water remains in the form of invisible water vapor. When the engine is cold, the exhaust pipe is cold, or the outside air is cold, this water may condense and become visible as "steam" or as liquid water dripping from the tailpipe.

Edited by wody (see edit history)

:withstupid: Double-check all plumbing between air cleaner & throttle body, you might have a leak; with truck running spray starting fluid around boots/seals and see if the idle RPM change... Also take electronic cleaner and clean the MAF wires.

I'll remember you said that :devil:

Mr. P. :)

So let me get this right. With my engine running spray astarting fluid around boots/seals and if the idle changes I have a leak? MAF sensor do I need to pull the plug connected to the MAF and clean that or just spray can I just remove the air filter and spray it down good without taking it apart? I raised the hood this morning with the truck running and felt around all the connections of the C.A.i and felt or heard no leaks and everything seemed to be real snug but I will double check with the starting fluid. It only does this when I first start it upand as far as the TB getting gunked up is that ppossible with only 8600 miles? I don't drive it hard or anything. Thanks everyone for your help.

I would go get some electronics cleaner from radio shack and spray the MAF down with it. I would disconnect the air intake tube, spray the MAF down let see if you still have the idle/start up problem. Make sure the electronics cleaner says it leaves no residue as well.

Have you added an aftermarket air filter or anything that may have to much oil on it?

I would go get some electronics cleaner from radio shack and spray the MAF down with it. I would disconnect the air intake tube, spray the MAF down let see if you still have the idle/start up problem. Make sure the electronics cleaner says it leaves no residue as well.

Have you added an aftermarket air filter or anything that may have to much oil on it?

I have the Volant CAI, so no that filter takes no oil. I will try both sprays tomorrow and see if that works. Thanks. :thumbs:

Good news it was the MAF being a little dirty. I took the filter off and sprayed the piss out of it with electronics cleaner and now it fires right up and when it idles it rattles the windows in my house again :driving:

Thanks Again :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

yea borbadh77 my truck was doing that to i would start it up and it would die for like a half a second and i knew what it was my tune was off by 1 point and it was throwing a maf code and my check engine light was on but dustin at trt performance fixed they did a hell of a job