cat question

packjh

Some of you know that ive had an idle problem and cant seem to find the source of it. Recently two young girls told me the truck smelled like something was burning when i accelerated. Yesterday i had my friend stay behind me when i accelerated while he was on his bike. Said the same thing and after talking he said it had a hint of sulfur in it. I was figuring maybe my cats are getting clogged. Would this cause a slight funky idle at lower rpm's if they aren't completely clogged. Would this be the source of the smell also. My oil levels are good so im not burning oil. I thought the girl may have smelled the transmission fluid or power steering fluid since i had 4 lines changed that day. Just wandering whether or not i should change my cats or not?

Yes read the DTC trouble codes. With they key on and engine not running you should be able to connect your tuning software and have it query-up the codes; reply with the codes you find and I'm sure someone can shed more insight on what's happening.

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Hmmm sorry man, need more info; I was hoping it would be a dead-bang issue with emissions equipment error codes but no dice. Your SES light is on because of the brake system codes. Can you give us some scan data while the truck is idling rough? Also, I've done this to myself so suggesting that you make sure you have no vacuum leaks between the air cleaner and the intake manifold. In hindsight it's kinda interesting that you don't have powertrain/emissions codes because if you had a failed cat that should have logged an error...

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)