UHP GRABBER Question

H8R

I am getting a very nice price on a set of General Grabber UHP... they are 285/50/20... I realize the stock SS Tires are 55 series...Will this make a big enough difference in sidewall height. I realize alot of tires are given a size rating but they still are not uniform with all brands.....eg... IMO the width of Nitto tires seem to run narrow with all other factors being equal (275/55/20 nitto v.s 275/55/20 kumho) I have measured and thr tread width on the Kumho is about .5-.75 wider.... so I was wondering if this held true to the Aspect ratio between other brands?

Edited by H8R (see edit history)

the aspect ratio is as follows.

on a 285/55 R20 tire, 285 is the width of the tread in milimetres. 55 means the side wall is 55% of the width of the tread (156.75mm) and the R20 is the diameter of the wheel (20").

hope this helps answer your question.

~mung

the aspect ratio is as follows.

on a 285/55 R20 tire, 285 is the width of the tread in milimetres. 55 means the side wall is 55% of the width of the tread (156.75mm) and the R20 is the diameter of the wheel (20").

hope this helps answer your question.

~mung

I think he understands this, but you look at the same size tire between different brands, and there might be a variance of 1/2-1" in width/aspect ratio.

i was informed that the measurements are taken from the casing. the manufacurers are given about 3-4% variance on the size up and down to allow for tread wear. that is why the sizes are very close but not exact.

i was informed that the measurements are taken from the casing. the manufacurers are given about 3-4% variance on the size up and down to allow for tread wear. that is why the sizes are very close but not exact.
That would make sense as to why there are variances.

Thats great To hear... Hell I didn't think the GY's were superbad...but I have never driven an SSS with anything else!

Maybe I'll have a new outlook on the SSS handling! That would be great because I took twistys with the G Years' pretty well.!