SS Cladding HELP

Okay I building a SS clone, I have all the cladding (finally) but how do i put it on. The rocker has a large bracket but I have no idea how it goes. I know the side moulding are just double sided tape but what about the bottom of the cladding. For example the cladding in the rear, I bought a few from the dealer and it comes with a template to drill holes for the rivets. Where does the rivets go and does any other cladding need rivets. I'm asking all this because I need to explain to my painter how to put them on. The dealer doesn't sell the brackets seperate for any of the cladding so I was thinking for making my own. Is it possible bu just making Z- shaped brackets? Any help guys since I don't have a REAL SS. Pics would help also. Thanks in advance.

well i would pm fordsareslow since he is doing the same thing. i havent gotten to the cladding part yet on my clone or dont know when i will so i cant give you alot of help. also i would try imposterss if he is still around he did one and came ou perfect.

I responded to your PM. :thumbs: All the brackets will need to be riveted to the body (except for the ones that hold the front fender cladding on, they use the bolt that holds your fender to your truck). You will also have to drill new holes in the wheel well openings as the cladding doesn't line up with the factory ones. I would HIGHLY suggest mounting that brackets and test fitting everything before the cladding gets painted. Before you drill any holes make sure the brackets are in the right place. To do this, you will need a couple of hours and if you can, get somebody to help you. Mock a piece of cladding on the truck and get it to fit exactly how you want it. Have your friend hold it there and then get under neath the truck and hold a bracket up to the cladding and against the body of the truck. When you've got the bracket in place have your friend carefully remove the cladding piece while your still holding the bracket against the body of the truck, and then have him mark the holes that need to be drilled with a felt tip pen. Do this for all of the brackets and once your done go back and drill all the holes. This method will work for all of the cladding brackets except for the piece that goes on the doors. For those, you will need to do a lot of careful measuring. You can even tape the door bracket to the truck if you think you've got it in the right place and then test the door cladding piece Once you have all the brackets mounted to the truck, go back and mount the cladding to make sure everything fits to your liking. You may have to do some minor adjusting of the brackets. Kind of hard to explain everything in writing but once you get started you'll see what I mean. Hope it helps.

Every piece of the side cladding uses at least 1 bracket. The only body pieces of the Silverado SS package that use only tape are at the top and bottom of the tailgate. If you purchased any of your side cladding from a dealer it should have come with the attaching hardware including metal rivets, plastic rivets and assorted brackets.

DSC03083.jpg

I don't remember which piece this hardware kit is for but you can see that each bracket is different. The metal rivets go thru the brackets, not the plastic cladding.

DSC03462.jpg

DSC03465.jpg

I'm sorry I don't have more photos of the cladding installation. I think your painter will need to spend alot of time to make these parts look right without the proper hardware.

081806109.jpg

DSC03083.jpg

I don't remember which piece this hardware kit is for but you can see that each bracket is different. The metal rivets go thru the brackets, not the plastic cladding.

Those look like the brackets for the rear bed cladding (the piece that goes right in front of the rear wheels) The long bracket is the one that mounts closest to the cab and the shorter is the one that mounts closest to the rear wheel.

Is there anyway I could get all the hardware? So the brackets are riveted to the actualy body of the truck? I had gotten most of my Cladding from another member on this forum and he didn't send me all the hardware. The most confusing part is how does the rocker go on and the side panels at the door and rear door?

• 1 month later...
DSC03465.jpg

DSC03462.jpg

I just bought the cladding without brackets from Posi12Bolt and after seeing this picture I'm a bit worried. Is the orange part a template you made or it that part of the bracket? And the long silver horizontal part is that part of the brackets as well?

Where can I get this stuff from without the cladding? I might be able to fabricate the brackets is I had full scale drawings but this project is starting to look a little more daunting than I had planned on.

I just bought the cladding without brackets from Posi12Bolt and after seeing this picture I'm a bit worried. Is the orange part a template you made or it that part of the bracket? And the long silver horizontal part is that part of the brackets as well?

Where can I get this stuff from without the cladding? I might be able to fabricate the brackets is I had full scale drawings but this project is starting to look a little more daunting than I had planned on.

The long silver horizontal part is just something sitting in the background. The brackets can easily be made. Mock all the cladding on the truck and just build some custom brackets accordingly. They don't have to look just like the GM ones, they just need to be able to hold the cladding in place. You will never see the brackets unless you go under the truck. I was the one that pulled the cladding off of Posi12Bolt's truck. If you have any questions about it let me know. :thumbs:

Is the orange part a template you made or it that part of the bracket? And the long silver horizontal part is that part of the brackets as well?

The orange part is a Victory Red piece of cladding modified into an alignment tool.

The long silver piece is the bottom edge of my BSER roll pan sitting under the truck.

I don't know where you can get the cladding hardware. I don't think GM sells it without cladding.

... I was the one that pulled the cladding off of Posi12Bolt's truck. If you have any questions about it let me know. :thumbs:
:mad: DAMN IT - if I'd have known you were doing that I'd have had you get a couple parts for me too! I'm curious - what was the shipping weight on all the cladding?

Mr. P. :)

• 13 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...