Laid Down The Law To A Duramax

PatrickSilverado

That's odd. The only diesels I have seen put out that thick black smoke are the ones with the edge controller or bully dog power pup installed. I saw a guy test driving a Duramax, getting on it hard and the exhaust was pretty clear. I saw heat in the form of a mirage, like when the asphalt is hot, but not much color.

Mike

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today found out that lil liar had a chip after all lol. He has the bully dog tripple pup he has that shit on extreme with a stock tranny too, so i guess he was playin with me and didn't shower down on it all the way. I hope the ole goat slips his transmission lol :lol:

Today found out that lil liar had a chip after all lol. He has the bully dog tripple pup he has that shit on extreme with a stock tranny too, so i guess he was playin with me and didn't shower down on it all the way. I hope the ole goat slips his transmission lol :lol:

i doubt he will slip it anytime soon, those alisons are made VERY strong, i think they can handle up to 1000hp and like 1200 torque, from the factory.

Hehe, I told you so :) Those Duramax's are not all that fast stock. I can't remember the exact numbers I saw, but it seems like the 06's were about a second behind the SS in the quarter stock vs. stock. That is still pretty good considering how heavy they are.

The six speed gives them an edge also.

Mike

putting a 160hp chip on a 06duranax truck is like bolting on a radix to a ss and expecting your truck s tranny to hold... 6 speed is no fun when every gear slips till 4th and that stupid shifter is no bueno, maybe if you want it to grenade. smoking all 4 in a lifted duramax and pooping black smoke on whoever you want is pretty cool though

i have installed many chips of various brands into all three variations of the dmax motor and both alisons. one customer, who happened to be a close friend, had an LLY of which we put everything banks has to offer(intercooler, full exhuast, etc etc), and a bullydog chip. the truck made some insane numbers on the dyno..... i think it made like 360 something whp and a little over 700 wtq. that truck hauls a 18k lb 5th wheel trailer to TN from miami several times a month (on the performance level, not towing). when not towing, its always in extreme mode. it has EGT, dual IAT, and boost gauges so he monitors everything at all times, but has never had an issue. the truck has like 50k miles, and again, not one issue. trans has never set a DTC, and he has never felt it slip. i have also yet to see any dmax's come into service for tranny work, it just doesnt seem to happen but once in a blue moon....

:actually because its black smoke means it probably WAS stock, with diesels, they come from the factory with a very rich fuel mixture so they usually do spew black smoke when they are factory or close to it. its when you add the banks kit like the six gun tuner or other related products that it re tunes and starts to equal out and then they DONT really let out black smoke.

:withstupid: I seem to remember an episode of Trucks when Stacey David installed and Edge module, intake and exhaust on an 04 Duramax. When he boosted to performance level to 5 on the monitor, not only did it spew black smoke out of the exhaust, he also broke the tires loose from a launch. I am around stock diesels all of the time, and I can say for sure that most newer diesels, whether it is Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins, hell even a Detroit, DO NOT spew huge clouds of black smoke.

:withstupid: I seem to remember an episode of Trucks when Stacey David installed and Edge module, intake and exhaust on an 04 Duramax. When he boosted to performance level to 5 on the monitor, not only did it spew black smoke out of the exhaust, he also broke the tires loose from a launch. I am around stock diesels all of the time, and I can say for sure that most newer diesels, whether it is Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins, hell even a Detroit, DO NOT spew huge clouds of black smoke.

:withstupid: stock=no smoke