Water Leak ... "A" Pillar

Stitches040

Hey All .... Well after 3 years of a love affair with my Mistress ... She has let me down with a little design flaw. My SS developed a Leak on the A post/pillar driver's side.

I got into the truck last night, and saw the little puddle of water on the husky mat. Then I noticed the carpet to be wet. I went Ballistic!!! I was Fit to be Tied!!! to say the least. Thank God that I'm still under the Bumper to Bumper!!!

So after reading everyone elses trials and tribulations in the "Search", I have a couple of questions that need to be addressed.

1 - What can I expect the Dealership to say, regarding this problem?

2 - What can I expect the Dealership to do to help correct this problem?

3 - I just put on a Goodmark Cowl Hood ... It is GM approved aftermarket part, but will the dealership BOCK at this, and say that the hood is the cause of the water leak.

Thanks in advance for your replies, suggestions and answers...

Shuan

Hey All .... Well after 3 years of a love affair with my Mistress ... She has let me down with a little design flaw. My SS developed a Leak on the A post/pillar driver's side.

I got into the truck last night, and saw the little puddle of water on the husky mat. Then I noticed the carpet to be wet. I went Ballistic!!! I was Fit to be Tied!!! to say the least. Thank God that I'm still under the Bumper to Bumper!!!

So after reading everyone elses trials and tribulations in the "Search", I have a couple of questions that need to be addressed.

1 - What can I expect the Dealership to say, regarding this problem?

2 - What can I expect the Dealership to do to help correct this problem?

3 - I just put on a Goodmark Cowl Hood ... It is GM approved aftermarket part, but will the dealership BOCK at this, and say that the hood is the cause of the water leak.

Thanks in advance for your replies, suggestions and answers...

Shuan

They should in my opinion repair your truck without any issues at all. The hood won't even be a problem. I have the same hood and my dealer didn't say Jack sh**. I honestly don't think you should have a problem. But every dealership is different it seems.

Good luck

And Shuan, are you sure your truck didnt' get wet from my boat hitting you with a rooster tail? :crackup:

Edited by BILLS04SS (see edit history)

If they give you any grief about the hood, go to another dealer. Water leaks can be hard to diagnose. You almost have to reproduce the exact scenario to find it in most cases, but should be able to be done. It may take them some time, though. Hopefully it's something simple like a weatherstrip, or clogged drain passage. Either way, they should fix it without question.

My dealership said nothing about my modifications (although they are minor) when they repaired the HVAC on my truck. I think if the problem is unrelated to a modification, the should honor the warranty, but I also think that you are right about each dealer being different. Good luck.

The water leak is most likely coming in through the wire harness boot in the door jamb, and has nothing to do with your hood. Check to make sure the boot is completely seated against the body in the door jamb, as this was the cause of a water leak on an Escalade we used to own. It's a stiff rubber ring on the end of the accordion harness cover, and pops into place.

As for what to expect from the dealer, I learned that GM has specific procedures for them to follow in such cases. If your carpet and padding are soaked like mine was, the first thing they'll do is lift the adges of the carpet and try to dry it with blowers. We raised a big fuss about this, because I was certain the truck would smell like mold after a while because it's nearly impossible to dry that jute backing on the carpet. Eventually I won and they replaced the carpet, but in doing so the idiots at the dealer scratched up a lot of the plastic trim pieces that had to be removed to replace the carpet - like they removed them with a f'in screwdriver. So I guess you could say I won the battle and lost the war, or something like that. Good luck!

It could be a leaky windshield seal or a leaky cowl seal. Both of the Grand Prix's I had had cowl leaks that would dump water on the front floor.....the dealer replaced the cowl seals under warranty.

good luck :cheers: