For All high output motors

brobradh77

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I read a TSB last year were GM recommends the Chevron with Techtron Fuel system additive every few tank fills. There is an addive in it that keeps crappy gasoline from destroying our fuel pumps. It mentioned that there were some kind of deposites left inside our tanks that ruined the fuel modules. It also said it helps some vehicles that had the incorrectly reading sending units (deposite issue again)....

saying that the octane rating will hurt your fuel pump is :icon_bs:

Like stated before, constantly running the tank to near empty is going kill the pump in time. Being a fleet manager, I couldn't count how many times I have seen this happen. :banghead:

My SS only gets 93 octane and I never dip below 1/4 tank either. :chevy:

If I am correct, a stock LQ9 has 10:1 compression, so running it on anything less than 91 is just plain stupid.

high compression = high octane

Running 87 will cause pinging, which causes knock retard, which kills gas mileage and power. :driving:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

I work for Gm...Big whoop huh??? LOL

GM recently did a gasoline test study on our 'fleet' vehicles with a few other manufacturers...They actually recommended certain brands of fuel...Those that had less sulphur and less wear and tear on fuel systwems where recomended...they did this study to save money on our fuel costs and durability on our test fleet...It is common for our engineers to 'test drive' vehicles to improve them...Not hijacking...I will list the link on another post...

Mine pings even with 91 octane under certain conditions...like when it is 75 or warmer, and my engine is fully warmed up...around 180 with the 160 stat...just my .02

saying that the octane rating will hurt your fuel pump is :icon_bs:

Like stated before, constantly running the tank to near empty is going kill the pump in time. Being a fleet manager, I couldn't count how many times I have seen this happen. :banghead:

My SS only gets 93 octane and I never dip below 1/4 tank either. :chevy:

If I am correct, a stock LQ9 has 10:1 compression, so running it on anything less than 91 is just plain stupid.

high compression = high octane

Running 87 will cause pinging, which causes knock retard, which kills gas mileage and power. :driving:

:withstupid: I run 93 in mine exclusively. I tried 87 and 89, but my gas milage suffered, along with performance. So, I figured it equaled out price wise. I think you just got a bad pump.

I work for Gm...Big whoop huh??? LOL

GM recently did a gasoline test study on our 'fleet' vehicles with a few other manufacturers...They actually recommended certain brands of fuel...Those that had less sulphur and less wear and tear on fuel systwems where recomended...they did this study to save money on our fuel costs and durability on our test fleet...It is common for our engineers to 'test drive' vehicles to improve them...Not hijacking...I will list the link on another post...

Mine pings even with 91 octane under certain conditions...like when it is 75 or warmer, and my engine is fully warmed up...around 180 with the 160 stat...just my .02

I read that bulletin (I work for a Chevy dealer), and saw that Chevron was at the top. I use QT, because it's usually cheaper than most of the others, and it runs pretty well in my truck. It's rated #3 I believe.

Oh I miss understood you then Brad. I thought that u had a low fuel pressure reading 1st and you had hoped that this start/stubble problem would be related and go away... My bad Brad.

Basically thats exactly whats going on. When they had gaugeson my truck it wasnt giving me enough fuel pressure to start up right away so it all pointed to the fuel pump and regulator so I had all that replaced and it is still doing the same thing. I am going to drop the truck off MOnday night so he will be able to get his gauges and computer chit on it for the frist start of the morning because thats when its at its worst the rest of the day it starts up just fine.

That is just like mine. My 2004 GMC VHO has 30K on here now, and I just had the BG Induction service performed on my fuel system too!!! :(

Are we sure that the "drive by wire" trucks have an IAC valve? I didn't see 1 in the cataloging- that is, unless it is serviced only in the throttle body assm. :dunno:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

That is just like mine. My 2004 GMC VHO has 30K on here now, and I just had the BG Induction service performed on my fuel system too!!! :(

Are we sure that the "drive by wire" trucks have an IAC valve? I didn't see 1 in the cataloging- that is, unless it is serviced only in the throttle body assm. :dunno:

It's in the assembly.

Well I removed my Superchips program and set the 'HO back to stock. Then I added a full tank of mid-grade 89 octane gas, so far so good. The truck has been driven ALL weekend and has started flawlessly every day!!!??? :crazy: