Tuned and Dyno Pulls Done

wildhawker

Yesterday was the big day... had the truck tuned on the dyno. We did 4 pulls (one baseline, and 3 post-tune) overall.

The effective physical modifications to the truck (2007 GMC VMax) are an Outlaw CAI and a Corsa cat-back sport exhaust.

After backing off the shift management and adding in some advance, we had to richen up 4000-5000 due to slight knock retard. It started to quench the cats about 115MPH, and we decided not to adjust it, so she'll lose some up top when the exhaust gas gets hot. By the fourth pull, my 4WD tired started to get hot and bounce, so we quit at that point. Overall, the biggest imrovement is the lack of hesitation on the 1-2 shift. After the tires got hot, we didn't take it past 115MPH, so I'm sure the numbers reflect an early shutdown.

Between pulls 3 and 4, I traded 1.5 HP for a more linear torque curve. When it was all said and done, it left the shop with SAE corrected and loaded numbers of 298RWHP and 393RWTQ peak.

So... now my questions are:

How does this fare against similar modded trucks, how fast do cams come in the mail? :devil:

In all seriousness, do you have any thoughts on how to improve, or should I hang tight until I persue the cam later this year?

Do you have a NBS V-Max or a Classic V-Max. I have to ask that about every '07.

Regardless of which one you have, those are excellent numbers for your mods IMO. Especially that torque number. My last dyno pull, which was before my CAI and Cat-Back was 320 ft-lb at the rear wheels. I can't imagine that my mods would add another 73 ft-lbs, so I am impressed with your numbers.

Edit: I forgot to ask...which axle ratio are you running?

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

Good numbers. Where did you do these pulls?

VanGordon and Brown Performance in Claremont, CA (www.vbdyno.com). Scott Brown (the owner) has a few toys himself (SSS, 07 ZO6 Vette), and is a great guy to work with.

VanGordon and Brown Performance in Claremont, CA (www.vbdyno.com). Scott Brown (the owner) has a few toys himself (SSS, 07 ZO6 Vette), and is a great guy to work with.

Cool. Scott's a good guy. I met him and one of his employees a couple of month back at the EFI University class I taught. Definitely seemed like someone that I would turn my keys over to for some work. :)

Those are great numbers from a great guy. Keep it up!

Edited by .justin. (see edit history)

what gear did you make those pulls in?

Baselined in 3rd to rev limit, then pulled 3rd post-tune. After the tires warmed up, we pulled 1-3 in drive from a 10mph start for the rest of the post-tunes to work with engine management at the shifts.

After looking at the pulls again, I think these numbers are off. I asked Scott for the dyno data in a spreadsheet so I can do my own math... the torque, in particular, seems out of proportion. I'll update when I get it... he went to New York for a vacation, so it might be a week or two.

i was wondering about this myself. that means that with a tune, air intake and cat back you gained around 100 whp? which would be about 120 brake horsepower or so. seemed like a lot to me but who knows right?

those are some pretty good #'s, i need to get some kind of tune on my Vmax. The hesitation with the fly by wire and the fact that it cuts out at 90mph is driving me crazy. im debating on either a custom tune or something along the lines of a handheld tuner. i have the guy to do the custom tune but with it being under warranty i would like to be able to pull the tune if it needs to go to the dealership.

<br />those are some pretty good #'s, i need to get some kind of tune on my Vmax. The hesitation with the fly by wire and the fact that it cuts out at 90mph is driving me crazy. im debating on either a custom tune or something along the lines of a handheld tuner. i have the guy to do the custom tune but with it being under warranty i would like to be able to pull the tune if it needs to go to the dealership.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I would stay away from hand held tuners... not worth the money. For the price, you can get a custom PCM tune on a spare core, and keep your stocker for "just in case" situations. I was going to do that, but, then, I'm impatient and didn't want to wait for it to get here! :) The tune and the shift kit were such huge improvements, words do not do justice.