Fitting punishment for the crime?

Shoplifters Wear 'I Stole From Wal-Mart' Signs  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is this punishment fair?

• Fair - wish more communities did this
    • Cruel and unusual punishment
    • Not harsh enough

I think it's a great idea. Going to jail is a badge of honor for some people. Embarassing them is a better judgement in my opinion. Jails don't work for the most part. We've proven that over and over again. Maybe embarassment and peer pressure will help do what our jails cannot.

four hours of wearing that sign to get out of 60 days in jail? what a joke. anybody that stole would go that route.

what if you commited a hate crime? how bout if you had to wear the sign like Bruce Willis did in Die Hard 3 and stand in front of a mall or grocery store? then wearing the sign might fit the crime.

For that type of crime, I think it is much better than room and board at the taxpayer's expense. I also think it might be a deterrent to other potential thieves. Nobody sees the inside of a jail until it is too late.

four hours of wearing that sign to get out of 60 days in jail? what a joke.
:withstupid: I like it, however I don't think that it would be a very good deterrent in the long run. But I do like that it takes a little burden off we taxpayers.

Mr. P.

:withstupid: I like it, however I don't think that it would be a very good deterrent in the long run. But I do like that it takes a little burden off we taxpayers.

Mr. P.

the taxpayer part is definately a plus. i just hate to see people get off lightly no matter how small the crime.

the taxpayer part is definately a plus. i just hate to see people get off lightly no matter how small the crime.
Totally. People forget what is important, that is the primary objective here is deterrence; saving money should be secondary.

This has been done before, as a matter of fact this type of stuff is what created the "cruel and UNUSUAL" punishment. Things like tar and feathered etc. (I wish I can remember some more recent ones)

Deterence is key, I for one think that prison should not be such a cake walk, you have bums trespassing on purpose so they can have three meals a day and a place to sleep.

The problem is two words of legal jargon. Plea bargain. The reason being there are too many people and not enough jails. However in other countries where plea bargain is minimal you have less crime. Mostly because people KNOW that if they do that they will get the maximum sentance.

There is a judge around here that makes people wear signs for all sorts of stuff. He even made a few guys stand on the street with signs that say "I molest children" along with their jail sentence...So yeah i think it's a good idea...