got my gears done

got my gears and locker put in yesterday and this morning. what a world of difference. for any of you 2wd guys running 3.73's, spend the money and upgrade to at least 4.10's. the locker isnt too noisy but i can tell its there. sounds just like it did in my last dodge. well worth the funds and makes 1st gear so much better. i havent got it on the freeway yet as ill be breaking it in over the next couple weeks but we calculated a 300 rpm increase or so with the 4.56's. happy happy happy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are the benefits beside what you said. im loking into mor epower options soon and leave the looks alone. and i will need to get the power to the ground but what im looking for is something to make both wheels spin. i heard of a eaton locker???

and good job with the new mods!!

Edited by 04silveradoclone07ss (see edit history)

what are the benefits beside what you said. im loking into mor epower options soon and leave the looks alone. and i will need to get the power to the ground but what im looking for is something to make both wheels spin. i heard of a eaton locker???

and good job with the new mods!!

same thing kyle. for me i chose a tight converter to not sacrifice daily driveability. if id gone with a looser converter then the gears arent as much a necessity. thus the gears just make you get through the powerband that much faster. the locker is just insurance really. from what ive read the 14 bolt is plenty strong enough but with a locker its all power all the time to both wheels. only drawback is you can sort of hear it when your turning as one wheel is turning faster than another.

same thing kyle. for me i chose a tight converter to not sacrifice daily driveability. if id gone with a looser converter then the gears arent as much a necessity. thus the gears just make you get through the powerband that much faster. the locker is just insurance really. from what ive read the 14 bolt is plenty strong enough but with a locker its all power all the time to both wheels. only drawback is you can sort of hear it when your turning as one wheel is turning faster than another.

is that bad if one wheels spins faster?? i think im goign to go over to the trans/rear shop and start asking alot of questions..lol

is that bad if one wheels spins faster?? i think im goign to go over to the trans/rear shop and start asking alot of questions..lol

Yup you're throwing away the power you're already making. I would even encourage you to make that a first mod, even getting a used factory one if you need to save a couple hundred bucks will make a big difference.

Mr. P.

Kyle - what gears do you think are in your truck now?

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

mr.p come on do you think i know that?? i have no f'n clue lol. and what are you saying that i should get it done first?? and a factory one?? and if you could tell me were can i find what gears i have. all i know it with alittle gas this the spins tires like a mofo!!!

Edited by 04silveradoclone07ss (see edit history)

mr.p come on do you think i know that?? i have no f'n clue lol. and what are you saying that i should get it done first?? and a factory one?? and if you could tell me were can i find what gears i have. all i know it with alittle gas this the spins tires like a mofo!!!

sometimes there's a sticker on the axle itself or maybe a metal tab fastened to the rearend cover

:cool: You still running stock diameter tires?

duh never mind, I read your sig.

close to stock. with the dr's being 29 inches ill probably be around 4.88's at the track. then we'll see if i can still get traction.

:lol: You've definitely got an open rear (see a doctor about that :jester: ) - yup if I were me in your situation I would find a used G80 differential and some 3.73 or 4.11 gears for your rear axle. More than just for performance, in your case it is a legitimate safety concern, I would make it a priority.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

close to stock. with the dr's being 29 inches ill probably be around 4.88's at the track. then we'll see if i can still get traction.

The faster 2WD SSS around here run 28" DR with stock gears, when they try 26" tires they loose a lot of both time & mph; with your combo you might have to extend your RPM just a tad...

Mr. P.

The faster 2WD SSS around here run 28" DR with stock gears, when they try 26" tires they loose a lot of both time & mph; with your combo you might have to extend your RPM just a tad...

Mr. P.

I may have too you right. i was hoping by going with a taller drag radial to avoid it but i wont know for sure till i get out there.

:lol: You've definitely got an open rear (see a doctor about that :jester: ) - yup if I were me in your situation I would find a used G80 differential and some 3.73 or 4.11 gears for your rear axle. More than just for performance, in your case it is a legitimate safety concern, I would make it a priority.

Mr. P. :)

what truck can i get that from?? do you have a year and model. and what about a locker?? i actually think my rear is goign to go soon becuase when i put it in gear and give some gas it like "slams" and moves/?? hard to explain. wouldi get more traction with this??

I may have too you right. i was hoping by going with a taller drag radial to avoid it but i wont know for sure till i get out there.

Well you know - a L92 head swap would fix that problem too :devil:

Well you know - a L92 head swap would fix that problem too :devil:

already in the works. im gonna see how ssbnoons and wodys turn out then if everything works out it will be a go. not satisfied with my choices currently for the install so im still strongly considering driving out to vegas to have frank do it.