gonna build a drag car

desertss

well i decided due to the price of gas etc, that i am gonna switch from restoring the 72 ranchero gt to making it an all out drag car.

it already has a stroker 460 (gotta rebuild it) have a eldebrock high rise manifold. cold air box that uses the stock ram air hood, the c6 has a shift kit already. has the stock 9" rear

ideas from there are welcome.

maybe some nos, rear suspension, etc.

well i decided due to the price of gas etc, that i am gonna switch from restoring the 72 ranchero gt to making it an all out drag car.

it already has a stroker 460 (gotta rebuild it) have a eldebrock high rise manifold. cold air box that uses the stock ram air hood, the c6 has a shift kit already. has the stock 9" rear

ideas from there are welcome.

maybe some nos, rear suspension, etc.

im not a fan of nos i like nx better. (just fwy) nos is a brand , nitrous is a power adder just a small pet peeve of mine. anywho what kind of motor is the 460? as for the 9 inch id just build that they are good rear ends. id use a direct port setup for the "nitrous" so you can throw a manly size shot on it if your going to keep it n/a. as for suspension id look if there are any kits available for it. depending on how wild your going to go a tub or mini tub kit may be in order along with having the rear end shortened so you can run some meats on it. id it already 4 linked or does it have leaf springs?

it has coil springs in the rear. not sure if its a four link. havent studied the rear yet. been pulling the motor out and apart.. was thinking of tubbing it.

as for the motor was just told by the po that it was a stroked 460.

my bet is a lincoln,

Edited by desertss (see edit history)

If it is coil in the back, get a coil air bag for the passenger side so when you launch it will take off straight. Heavy truck like that will need 4.11's or 4.56's. And while your in there and plan to never drive it on the street, go with a spool. Lakewood drag shocks are good and are cheap. 50/50 for the rear, and depending on what you feel you need, there is 70/30's and 90/10's. Larger the left number like (90) the faster the front end rises, and the smaller the right number (10) the slower it will fall back down. Just depends how much and how long you want to put most of your weight on the rear wheels. Also, Lighten the truck up as much as possible, For every 100lbs is good for .10 of a second.

If you plan on running some kind of nitrous, just stay small at first and work your way up, and keep an eye on your plugs. 50 to 75 shot would be a good start.

Line lock would be good for burn outs and it easy to install. If you run any faster then 10.99 you'll need a roll cage. And for the 460, have fun with that big old heavy slug. Takes a lot of money to work on big blocks and you have to carry all that weight to boot.

Good luck and have fun.