Tech ?'s about L92

Okay, so, here goes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understand the L92 is the engine being used in the new Denalis and Cadillacs that produces somewhere around 400hp/400ftlbs. Everyone here seems to like using the L92 heads and cam on the LQ9s, and are having good results with that. My question is, are there any other major differences in the block itself (not little stuff like the oil pump or fuel system)? If not, could someone answer these for me please?:

Would it be fairly easy to swap this motor into an 03 SS?

If not, I could fairly easily swap the heads and cam and have something close to that motor right?

What is this average power gain for that procedure?

Could I still install the Radix later on?

and Could I use a 90mm TB?

What I'm thinking of doing, is the usual TC upgrade, to around 2600 (i still need to tow my boat or I'd go higher), shift kit, billet/corvette servos, a nice tune, the L92 heads / cam, 4.56 gears, and the radix. Any problems with that setup??

Thanks for the help in advance, I appreciate it...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so, here goes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understand the L92 is the engine being used in the new Denalis and Cadillacs that produces somewhere around 400hp/400ftlbs. Everyone here seems to like using the L92 heads and cam on the LQ9s, and are having good results with that. My question is, are there any other major differences in the block itself (not little stuff like the oil pump or fuel system)? If not, could someone answer these for me please?:

Would it be fairly easy to swap this motor into an 03 SS?

If not, I could fairly easily swap the heads and cam and have something close to that motor right?

What is this average power gain for that procedure?

Could I still install the Radix later on?

and Could I use a 90mm TB?

What I'm thinking of doing, is the usual TC upgrade, to around 2600 (i still need to tow my boat or I'd go higher), shift kit, billet/corvette servos, a nice tune, the L92 heads / cam, 4.56 gears, and the radix. Any problems with that setup??

Thanks for the help in advance, I appreciate it...

im in the process of swapping the heads and intake. im not sure if anyone has done this setup yet, zippy said he is close to being done with franks setup. you cannot run the radix on the l92 heads due to the rectangle intake ports, but i have heard that magnuson is working on a l92 setup. swaping out the whole motor for 50 horses isn't worth it. richard from wcch said that my head and cam swap will feel like a blower. when you use the l92 heads you'll need to swap the intake as well either to the l92 truck or l76 car intakes, both use a 90mm throttle body. the one problem with the l76 setup if finding a way around the water pump obstruction issue. you could use either the gmpp carb intake, the l92 truck intake or maybe even a throttle body spacer with the l76 intake to solve the water pump issue.

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

You have to get around the water pump and relocate the idler pulley, plus get an adaptor for the drive by wire throttle on the new L92 car intake throttle body. There are links in the next thread for the parts to complete the swap. Its not a straight forward bolt on. I would waste the time swapping in the new 6.2L 400hp L92 SUV motor, it has different knock sensors and lots of different wiring etc.

Other thread containg tons of information...

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...c=32407&hl=

There is a link in that thread to a hiperformance magazine article where they got 550hp out of a head/cam/intake swap on a 6.0L LS2 (very similar to an LQ9, gains should also be similar). A Radix out of the box will give you 500hp and pulley changes + supporting etc. 550-600hp at the crank. A L92 swap can be done for probably well under $4k including parts and labor and a new radix blower is over $5k+labor.

You have to get around the water pump and relocate the idler pulley, plus get an adaptor for the drive by wire throttle on the new L92 car intake throttle body. There are links in the next thread for the parts to complete the swap. Its not a straight forward bolt on. I would waste the time swapping in the new 6.2L 400hp L92 SUV motor, it has different knock sensors and lots of different wiring etc.

Other thread containg tons of information...

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...c=32407&hl=

There is a link in that thread to a hiperformance magazine article where they got 550hp out of a head/cam/intake swap on a 6.0L LS2 (very similar to an LQ9, gains should also be similar). A Radix out of the box will give you 500hp and pulley changes + supporting etc. 550-600hp at the crank. A L92 swap can be done for probably well under $4k including parts and labor and a new radix blower is over $5k+labor.

i forgot about the 90mm adapter harness but mine is on the way from DrX from pt.net

okay... So I can do the L92 heads, cam, l92 truck intake (so I don't have to worry about the water pump issue) (doesn't the reduce my high-end power though?)... is anyone trying to do the l76 intake with a throttle body spacer? Is this setup only going to give me another 50hp?

thanks guys, I really do appreciate all the help...

no just swapping the motor would give you 58

lq9 = 345

l92 = 403

the l76 intake is the way to go, im going that route. this setup has really not yet been complete by anybody and results are unknown.

some are waiting on the few who are actually trying this setup before they take the plunge

no just swapping the motor would give you 58

lq9 = 345

l92 = 403

the l76 intake is the way to go, im going that route. this setup has really not yet been complete by anybody and results are unknown.

some are waiting on the few who are actually trying this setup before they take the plunge

got that right. im waiting on yours/franks and bnoons to see how it actually performs in our trucks. my biggest concern will be how much stall youll have to run and in turn how much bottom end youll be giving up.

Ok, so, assuming I do all the labor myself (it's a good long weekend project, right?), I need the intake, the cam, the heads (and everything inbetween), I need to modify the water-pump (besides TB spacer there are no other options? the one off the L92 won't bolt up?), and I need to get my hands on a wiring adapter to make the TB work.... and after all that I can be expecting somewhere around 500hp (after a good tune, duh)... correct?

If so, I'm going to start hoarding some parts together... I know I can get most of what I need through GM, but does everyone recommend that, or is the SLP package the way to go? I don't mind building the heads myself, that's not too difficult, but is quality an issue?

Also, is everyone doing this using the stock L92 cam? Or is everyone going for something more viscious? I like my smooth idle and I don't want to screw with that too much, but for some good gains I'll put up with my truck sound a little diesel-ish... any figures on that yet?

it should take between 2 and 3 days to complete. the cam choices aren't yet proven either. don't forget about the trans, im going to get mine built soon. you need to figure out your cam before you buy the slp setup so you get the right springs. im putting everything together seperatly, so that i have the choices to put what i want into this.

my cam is a 223/227 .636/.639 112

not reccomended if you want your smooth idle. talk to a reputable performance shop to get some cam specs.

For cam selection, most of us are going bigger. I'm considering the comp cams XR281, still daily driveable, but people will know I have the cam. You definetly dont want the stock L92 cam. As long as you keep the lobe sep over 115, lift around 550ish and duration under 220, you'll have a fairly smooth idle. You might want to look lingenfelters GT2-3 cam as an option. 118 sep, sounds like stock until you get on it. Also good for a blower application down the road. With a cam like that, L92 package, headers, tune, torque converter, you should be well over your 500hp and a mid to low 13's ET. Most of us are gunning for the 550hp mark though and I plan on some juice to umph it into the 12's.

Ok, so then,

Revision:

L92 heads (rated to .600 lift, and with all the fun titanium parts, I'll build them myself from GM parts), a cam with around 580 lift (i'm thinking of going for very slight lump, just something that you know isn't stock and sounds a little grumpy), a TBTC stalled at around 2600-2800, a nice shift kit and 'vette servos... and I'm looking at between 500-550 rwhp?

And I couldn't mail order a tune if I gave up all my specs? That stinks. There really aren't any performance shops around here... Cape Cod is one big retirement community!!

I would want to tune to be a little aggressive, but I still need to tow my boat... I could set it up to be safe to tow with tow/haul on, right? Have a different tune to keep the shifts short and in the mid-range and all that right?

Ok, so then,

Revision:

L92 heads (rated to .600 lift, and with all the fun titanium parts, I'll build them myself from GM parts), a cam with around 580 lift (i'm thinking of going for very slight lump, just something that you know isn't stock and sounds a little grumpy), a TBTC stalled at around 2600-2800, a nice shift kit and 'vette servos... and I'm looking at between 500-550 rwhp?

And I couldn't mail order a tune if I gave up all my specs? That stinks. There really aren't any performance shops around here... Cape Cod is one big retirement community!!

I would want to tune to be a little aggressive, but I still need to tow my boat... I could set it up to be safe to tow with tow/haul on, right? Have a different tune to keep the shifts short and in the mid-range and all that right?

talk has been that a tbtc isnt going to stall high enough.

You're assuming I sleep during the weekends when I play with my cars...

:nono: No sleeping untill it's done!

you should take the time to do it right.