Tech ?'s about L92

you should take the time to do it right.
I know I know, I only pull all nighters with my bracket-beater... I wouldn't mind if that blew up (*cough*again*cough*)...

talk has been that a tbtc isnt going to stall high enough.

Ok, so I'll go higher to make it feel right, but doesn't having a higher stall slaughter my towing capability? How high would I have to go? like, 3200ish?

Also, how would a set-up like this handle 4.56s?

And, least importantly, what are you all expecting for mileage?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call wody.

Rausche....you could do a standard headcam swap and still get into the 13's. Shadowsniper? I think had it recently done and ran a 13.7ish, but he is really understalled (he ahs a tbtc) for his cam selection. He's stepping up to a 3000-3200stall and getting long tube headers, he should 13.3-13.5 with that. And a mail order tune should be much easier.

Like Wody said, we might all do this L92 swap and still only end up with what we would have had with say AFR/patriot performance/or dart head swap and a good bumpstick. Plus, you would be guaranteed you could do it in a weekend. Then, you could even upgrade to a car intake like the FAST intake down the road on another weekend to get a little more top end. I tow a boat too, but everything is a guess right now. If we had LS2's like the TBSS, GTO, Corvette, this would be straight forward and much less complicated.

Ok, so then,

Revision:

L92 heads (rated to .600 lift, and with all the fun titanium parts, I'll build them myself from GM parts), a cam with around 580 lift (i'm thinking of going for very slight lump, just something that you know isn't stock and sounds a little grumpy), a TBTC stalled at around 2600-2800, a nice shift kit and 'vette servos... and I'm looking at between 500-550 rwhp?

And I couldn't mail order a tune if I gave up all my specs? That stinks. There really aren't any performance shops around here... Cape Cod is one big retirement community!!

I would want to tune to be a little aggressive, but I still need to tow my boat... I could set it up to be safe to tow with tow/haul on, right? Have a different tune to keep the shifts short and in the mid-range and all that right?

Current L92 swaps are producing ballpark around 460 rwhp; the TBTC won't be enough converter for an all-out L92 build but would probably be good with a milder street/strip cam; towing will largely depend on your choice of converter, if you get a premium one with bulletproof TCC then you will be able to tow in OD, else you will have to tow with the converter unlocked and your mileage will plummet as your trans temps skyrocket. If you want to tow over 3500-lbs regularly you need to buy a very good converter.

Mr. P.

Would it be fairly easy to swap this motor into an 03 SS? The engine will swap right in, but the stock pcm in the 03' SSS will not work due to the cam sensor difference and the crank reluctor difference.

If not, I could fairly easily swap the heads and cam and have something close to that motor right? Yes.

What is this average power gain for that procedure? There isn't one, it all depends on your choice of cam, intake, etc. 60-100hp would be an average gain if done properly.

Could I still install the Radix later on? Yes, but it will be a bit before this is an option. Magnacharger is working on a new lower manifold to be able to bolt to the L76/L92 cylinder heads. Once the lower manifold is available (which should be soon), a Radix will bolt right in place.

and Could I use a 90mm TB? Of course, why wouldn't you be able to???

Current L92 swaps are producing ballpark around 460 rwhp; the TBTC won't be enough converter for an all-out L92 build but would probably be good with a milder street/strip cam; towing will largely depend on your choice of converter, if you get a premium one with bulletproof TCC then you will be able to tow in OD, else you will have to tow with the converter unlocked and your mileage will plummet as your trans temps skyrocket. If you want to tow over 3500-lbs regularly you need to buy a very good converter.

Mr. P.

I'm pulling my boat in and out of the water around a dozen times a year... I would consider that to be somewhat often... so what type of converter would suit me for that? And can't the tune be set up control the shift points and when the converter locks and unlocks, so that the trucks behaves totally differently with the tow-haul button on? I'm still looking for daily driveability, but I do want it to be fast (don't we all!?), and I did buy it tow stuff (it is a truck after all)... so what's the best way to get the best of both worlds?

Thanks for all your input...

I'm pulling my boat in and out of the water around a dozen times a year... I would consider that to be somewhat often... so what type of converter would suit me for that? And can't the tune be set up control the shift points and when the converter locks and unlocks, so that the trucks behaves totally differently with the tow-haul button on? I'm still looking for daily driveability, but I do want it to be fast (don't we all!?), and I did buy it tow stuff (it is a truck after all)... so what's the best way to get the best of both worlds?

Thanks for all your input...

Yes the TH mode allows the tuner to specify different transmission shifting behavior; what the factory does is calibrate shift points in 'normal' mode to center around HP peak RPMs, and shift points in TH mode to happen at torque peak RPMs. Converter - get any premium converter with a heavy-duty multi-disc lockup clutch; expect to pay upwards of $700 but you will have best performance and if you combine the HD lockup clutch with a billet 4th servo you will have zero slippage towing in 4th.

Mr. P. :)

zippy said he is close to being done with franks setup.

I am so excited to hear this. When I hear the pt.net guys talk it is one thing but Zippy is a different story, I know with him on it it is going to turn out bad ass, now I just need to sit on my hands and wait till it is done, the heads are on back order??...cam selection...I have to tell myself 550 is worth waiting for but I really need to get a new mod...

Will Gen III headers fit on the Gen IV stuff??? and then will the small dynatech primaries choke the L92 stuff?? I want stainless but the pacesetter primaries are larger??

Rausch- There's two trucks around here that have done L92 heads and L76 intakes. Neither one has nailed down their tuning yet and aren't running right. Both went with big cams and 480 trannys at the same time.

The heads are a great value for the what you pay/flow you get but you might want to be careful as to how much cam you choose. Don't grow too big too fast, based on what's been happening.

There are plenty of proven options available to make power without being the guinea pig. In the end, it's still just a H/C/I swap.

dont get it??? is his move making Frank change directions?? or is the shortage of parts slowing stuff up?? I figured out those guys would geterdone...like I always say if I did not have all these kids to feed...and a wife to keep off my back...

• 2 weeks later...