sudden mileage increase?

Buyfire

i noticed with the last 2 fillups i've done that my mileage has jumped almost 2 full MPG. on the DIC i usually see about 13.5 with mostly city driving. on my last 2 fillups i got 15.3 and 15.2 on the DIC. i didn't actually check real mileage, but the differences should still apply even if the actual MPG isn't exactly the same. believe me, i'm not complaining but i am confused. i've been driving the same routes with the same driving habits. nothing has changed with exception to installing some HID's (duh, no difference there). the weather has even been about the same.

would the gas stations have just now switched to the summer blend? and would that account for a 2 MPG increase? is there anything else that could contribute to this big swing in MPG? like i said, i'm definately not complaining with the price of gas these days. just wondering if anyone else has seen a difference lately.

mine picked up 1mpg also, from 12.5 to 13.5..........the reason being that my tires were 5lbs over inflated, so I aired them down to the correct level and picked up 1mpg :driving:

that's really backwards. it should be that the more air in the tire (= harder), the less rolling resistance you see.

you probably lost some head light fluid when converting to HIDs, thus lowering your overall weight. its common sense :jester:

i was thinking that because the HID light penetrates the darkness more cleanly, they were reducing drag. thereby increasing my mileage. :ughdance:

When they change the gas blend in the winter they often add additives to reduce emmisions, at least thats what they do up here in alaska. They started doing that after the inversion layer started getting really bad. It could make it less efficient.