Wait to Start indicator

Rausche

Ok... quick question for all you tuners out there... I've been looking at my stock gauge cluster and wondering what I could possibly to with all those extra indicators we have that never get lit up... I got the idea to program the diesel's wait-to-start light to come on with the key (and hence the electronic fuel pump), and I want it to shut off when the fuel pump does (like it does when it reaches pressure during KOEO)... I just thought that'd be a cool little thing... I realize that there's most likely not a bulb behind it because it's not used, but is it even wired to our computers? And if so, is this possible?

Thanks guys, let me know...

i don't think it is possible. the wait to start light goes out when the glow plugs have warmed up enough.

Duh. But since we don't have glow plugs I want to use it for something else. I'm curious if it's controlled by the PCM, and if it can be reprogrammed to do something else. Diesel's are ready to start when the glow plugs are ready, Gasser's are ready when there's good fuel pressure. And i want that light to say so.

Anybody?

Edited by Rausche (see edit history)

Just so I'm clear...you want the "wait to start" light to come on until the fuel pressure builds up? Isn't that like a second?

Lol, yeah, but so what? At least it's being used...

I don't know if it can be done with out reverting to the operating system of a truck that already has it enabled, in which case your truck would not run with the programing from a dmax. Also one must be carefull in which accessories to turn on, since common wiring harnesses are shared among different vehicles and similar features will do different things on different vehicles. An example is the shift light on the dash. In a manual trans car it controls the shift light but in an auto, it controls one of the shift solenoids.... so enableing it in an auto vehicle would cause havoc with the trans.

I don't know if it can be done with out reverting to the operating system of a truck that already has it enabled, in which case your truck would not run with the programing from a dmax. Also one must be carefull in which accessories to turn on, since common wiring harnesses are shared among different vehicles and similar features will do different things on different vehicles. An example is the shift light on the dash. In a manual trans car it controls the shift light but in an auto, it controls one of the shift solenoids.... so enableing it in an auto vehicle would cause havoc with the trans.

Well that being said... I'm going to have to some serious research...

Thanks for all your replies everyone, I'll let you know what I end up doing with it!

If you want a light on the dash to come on, (IF the light is even there) you should probably look at programming the IPC module, since that's the module that manage's the IP Cluster's functions.

What you are trying to do will probably be a 3-part Custom Program. First part would be to modify the IPC to recognize an input coming from the vehicle network (such as Fuel Rail Pressure) and them program the PCM to send the IPC module the Fuel Rail Pressure data. Then, modify the IPC again to switch on/off the "Wait to Start" lamp when the proper conditions are met.

What you're looking to do is somewhat complex if you want it done programatically ... might be easier to hard wire a light to switch on/off once the fuel pressure has reached a target pressure ... JMO.

If you want a light on the dash to come on, (IF the light is even there) you should probably look at programming the IPC module, since that's the module that manage's the IP Cluster's functions.

What you are trying to do will probably be a 3-part Custom Program. First part would be to modify the IPC to recognize an input coming from the vehicle network (such as Fuel Rail Pressure) and them program the PCM to send the IPC module the Fuel Rail Pressure data. Then, modify the IPC again to switch on/off the "Wait to Start" lamp when the proper conditions are met.

What you're looking to do is somewhat complex if you want it done programatically ... might be easier to hard wire a light to switch on/off once the fuel pressure has reached a target pressure ... JMO.

Thanks... I'm looking into it to see how I could do it and I'm figuring out how to do it with wiring and a relay, but I'll definately check on the IPC...