Can't decide on which cam

I've done some research and I think I've narrowed it down. I'm trying to decide between two cam's for my 6.0L (it's not the high output.)

I'm worried the fist might be too big but I'd rather have a little bit too big than too small

210/218 .531 lift 112 LSA

I'm not going to get tuning done right away, and I want to know if this one would actually run before I do get it tuned. This is a heavy truck, and I don't want my low end to be compromised. I also don't plan on changing the torque converter.

And I'm worried that this one might be too small and that I wouldn't even notice it, which would be really lame.

216/224 .551 lift 115 LSA

I want to be able to hear some lope, but I don't want it to be overwhelming or stall. I don't want a really big cam, just some noticeable gains and a cooler idle. I don't have any expirence with cams so I thought I'd ask some people who do.

the truck already has magnaflow duals and a K&N CAI and a few other mods.

Any input would be greatly appricated.

Edited by Fast2500Ak (see edit history)

bump that intake duration up a bit on the second one. as far as idle look for a lsa at 114 and run some cutouts and your idle will be bitchin'. search the site for specs and sound clips and find one that you like.

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

Of the two you list I'd go with the 2nd grind, 216/224 .551 lift 115 LSA. But I'd have to agree with WODY, I'd go with about 6-degrees difference in duration on a 114-degree LSA (assuming that you are running long tubes & performance catback) so something more along the lines of a 218/224-114.

Mr. P. :)

I found a comp cams one that is - 216 / 220 .525 / .532 114 LSA

that claims to pull in the 1300-6300 ranges

and a comp cams - 212 / 218 .522 / .529 114 LSA

That claims to pull in the 1200-6000 ranges

A thunder racing cam that specs at 224/227 .563/.569 114 LSA

And the closest mach

Z+220 from SDPC 220/224, 0.551/0.551, 114

Those are close to the specs but I can't find an exact match. I'm thinking about the SDPC what do you guys think?

Thanks again for the help.

i am runnin a comp cams 54-444-11 its a 224/230-.581/.588@114 and love it i personally if i had it to do again i might get a 112 but i really like it. it pulls really hard up high and i personally think that it runs about the same if not a little bit better off the line.

• 2 months later...

http://www.sdparts.com/product/CRA144HR67/...5510551114.aspx

http://www.sdparts.com/product/12499224/GM...pringSet16.aspx

http://www.sdparts.com/product/KITSD51902/...9903LS1LS6.aspx

Ok, I'm finally getting around to ordering the parts. I I'd greatly appreciate any feedback especially on the gasket kit. I'm not sure if I need all of the components but I think it's probably a good idea to get it anyway even if I don't need all of it. The engine is an LQ4 in my 01 2500hd. Any opinions on how well this will work, and does anyone know of any good places to have engine work done in Alaska just incase I decide I don't want to do this myself?

Thanks in advance

Billy

the max lift on those springs is not enough for the cam you listed up top. the gasket kit is too much for just a cam install, but for 70 bucks i'd go for it anyway. if you ever do a head swap you'll have the gaskets already. keep us posted

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

It's only off by .001 thats almost nothing will the springs really know the difference? If you're sure it can't handle it I thought I might try these.

http://www.sdparts.com/product/SDL1600VS/V...LS1Setof16.aspx

That seems to be the the next cheapest option. What dose everyone else use? Are there any brands I should avoid?

I don't praticularly want to spend over 120 on valve springs, but I know they are important.

Thanks again for all the help

http://www.sdparts.com/product/12586484/pr...gsameasLS2.aspx

like these? Will they work on stock heads?

The manufactuer recomends the regular preformance ls6 springs so it's odd that they have a cam with .551 lift and springs which are recomended for .550 lift.

I would ask some tuners what they could send you, or what they have a tune for. While the truck may run and do fine, the tune being nuts on will help get the max from it...Just trying to make you life a bit easier.

I use comp 918 springs i did notice extra valve train noise with them... Also you got way to many seals coming to you only need the front engine main seal kit....it even still has extra. But your seal kit is good because it comes with the bolt.