Dealer rant

Bonj87

ok.. this is about my wife's car.. its not an SS, so bear with me ok?

2001 Sunfire LE.. we notice some oil drops on the ground in the garage.. take it in to Jacob's chevy..

120 bucks later, they say it was the transpan gasket, and they replaced it (and tried to tell my wife they found stuff on the magnet, so she may need trans work)...

its still leaking.. BROWN oil...

take it in,, they put the dye in the oil, we drive it for 120 miles, they recheck it (3rd visit)

cant find it.. drive it some more..

get an oil change.. go back

4th visit,.. Oh, now we see its the oil pan (i think its just the gasket)..

it will cost you 450 bucks more to fix this... and my 120 bucks? so far they wont credit us that..

WTF.. we paid 120 bucks for a repair that DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM.!!!!!

hey zippy.. can i just drive the car to your dealership and get this done for less than 450 bucks!!???? at this point, id drive 5000 miles out of my way to get it fixed and not give JACOB"S CHEVY IN JOLIET, IL any more business!!!

Theres the problem, you sent the wife. As smart as she may be, they will try to take advantage of her...

On the flip side, maybe someone can chime in on what would get in the way of the install or at least give us the mechanic book hours for the job? Right now they are charging you around 4-5 hours labor depending on their hourly labor rate. I bet an independent could do it for $300...somewhere like midas or precision tune etc.

EDIT: Go to www.jbody.org and see if you can find anything on their website on whats involved with an oil pan gasket...I'm sure some of those ricer kids have grenaded a motor or two to know whats involved with an oil pan gaket change.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

No...but if their manual says 4 hours, thats what they charge even if it only really can take an hour. Usually, not always, but usually the dealer hours are an average and most mechanics can find short cuts or work faster and cut it down, but they charge what the book says. Find out what the labor rate may be. Also, take into consideration that $450 probably includes an oil filter and change...and dealers tend charge alot for those as well.

service manager took more money off the repair bill.. he took off my 120 initial investment, and he's going to do the repair.

i told him i wanted him to go back to the tech, and tell me what the issue finally is, and if he will credit me that much, ill have him do the repair.

i mean, jesus.. on a lift, this is like an hour's worth of work and a 25 dollar gasket...

on my driveway, maybe its a few hours and that same gasket..

Our labor rate is $80.00 an hour, which is cheaper than most independents around here. Oil changes are $20.00 for vehicles with up to a 5 quart capacity. Yes, they will go by book time, and if they're more efficient, the more money the tech will make. That's how they make a living. However, they don't have to use book time, and that still seems outrageous to me. They should work with you since they missed it the first time.

they just called me. song and dance later im at 375 out of my pocket, with the 120 dollar credit to fix the issue.

i wont go back to them in the future, thats for sure.

Are there other dealers/shops around you? Price it out. Make them meet/beat it.