Exhaust question

I've been thinking about dumping my exhaust. I have a magnaflow dual 2 1/2 (in) x single 3" (out). The guy who installed it didn't have 3" pipe for the exhaust, so he rigged it w/ 2 1/2 pipe to my 3" Gibson tip. Would I get better performance (back pressure wise) if it was the true 2- 2 1/2 into single 3" like I wanted in the first place, or should I keep it the way it is. I'm not really sure how back pressure works, a reader's digest explanation would be cool. Right now it sounds good, kinda milder than I'd like, but every once in a while, when I pull next to someone who's dumped, it sounds F'n tough. Any help greatly appreciated.

CW

• 1 month later...

its the resistance that is on tha exhaust gas traveling through the exhaust system.........like a muffler or converter.........so u wanna get tha least restriction possible......but ur motor still needs a little backpressure or u could torque

my exhaust is a 18" magnaflow muffler with dual 2-1/2" and out dumped before the axle and i love the sound. if your's is 2-1/2 in into a single 2-1/2 out then yes you need a different setup...too much back pressure