Not happy with zippy shift kit

Hey guys, My truck is in the tranny shop getting my Zippy shift kit put in. But when it was finished the first time. Reverse was acting up. So my tranny guy called up zippy and he had sent me the wrong kit. So the tranny shop got the solution and fixed it. I was suppose to go pick up my truck today. When the tranny guy took it for a test drive reverse worked fine backing out of the shop, the shifts were fine. But when he got back to the shop and tried to back up again there was no reverse. I am kind of disappointed. My tranny guy fallowed the direction to the "t" and it still doesn't work right :banghead: . Anyone have any suggestions? :confused: I got to drive the truck with the shift kit in it and i love how it drives, but i am unhappy with how much time and money it is costing me to get it done right. I am going to give Zippy a call again tomorrow and see what we can get worked out. Sorry had to rant a little. I hate not having the SSS.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why he was going to stop selling them, people get the kit thru him and then blame him for mistakes in the install...did they drop the trans to put the kit in or was it done in the truck??

you will get it worked out, just dont be so quick to throw out that you are not happy with it in the title and then in the post say when you did drive it worked good.

I know Zippy is a good guy. I was just a little upset with not being able to have my truck. I am sorry for the post title I shouldn't have entitled it that. My mechanic dose specialize in transmissions, he puts shift kits in all the time. O well we are going to call up Zippy today and try to get things figured out. And we put the kit in with the tranny still in the truck.

with it in the truck all it would take is a wire getting bent or hit against the pan to jack things up...I felt it was easier to swap cams than pulling the trans to put the kit and conveter in...trouble shooting is tuff over the phone. good luck you will really like it after you get it worked out.

I installed two Zippy kits myself, one in my truck and one in Dylans truck and both turned out very well...it sounds like the directions weren't followed exactly as they should have been. I would have your tranny guy double check the install...The kit is a very good kit IMO...Best of luck.

Ok got everything figured out and got the truck running. I like the feel of the truck now. When the truck shifts from 1st to 2nd it chearps the tires. The one thing i don't like about it is how hot the tranny runs now. How much are tranny coolers and is it hard to put one in. Thanks.

Ok got everything figured out and got the truck running. I like the feel of the truck now. When the truck shifts from 1st to 2nd it chearps the tires. The one thing i don't like about it is how hot the tranny runs now. How much are tranny coolers and is it hard to put one in. Thanks.
Search through this section. There are a couple of good threads about trans coolers, and installation with pics.

How hot are you running? I don't see a lsit of mods but I have a 2600 stall and zippy shift kit and my truck never exceeds 170 which is good and no need for a cooler. Yeah its a little hotter than stock but nothing to worry about at those temps.

Edited by brobradh77 (see edit history)

Right now i have K&N 77 series CIA, corsa sport exhaust, and now the Zippy Shift kit. I am waiting for Dynatech to fit there headers to the 06 so i can buy some. My tranny temp was running a little over 200!

:eek: Wow don't know why thats the case except maybe the Arizona heat :dunno: IMO you have not done enough to have temps reach any where near that range but I would def. get a cooler with those temps.