vette question?

packjh

what year did they start putting the ls7 in the z06 was it 05 or 04. I test drove a 99 c5 and i was instantly sold except for the fact i dont want to give up my truck. I think im going to just go ahead and get rid of any bills i have throw all my money at the truck finish paying it off and find a decent used vette since i cant afford a new one.

what year did they start putting the ls7 in the z06 was it 05 or 04. I test drove a 99 c5 and i was instantly sold except for the fact i dont want to give up my truck. I think im going to just go ahead and get rid of any bills i have throw all my money at the truck finish paying it off and find a decent used vette since i cant afford a new one.

04, and 05, have the LS2

07 has the LS7

04, and 05, have the LS2

07 has the LS7

Sorry bud...not quite...here is the break down...

1997-2004 LS1 standard 345-350hp ratings

2001 Z06 - LS6 385hp

2002-2004 Z06 LS6 405hp

2005-current standard LS2 405hp

2006-2007 Z06 LS7 505hp

If you wanted my opinion, I would do one of two things... Either A) Buy a 2001-2004 Z06 corvette or B) by the standard 2005+ LS2 corvette. A new LS7 Z06 will run at least $65k. A used 01-04 Z06 can be found for $25-33k and a nice clean used 05+ LS2 vette can be found for under $40k now. The LS6 or LS2 would provide a solid foundation starting block for mods. I would prefer the LS2 because you could bolt on swap the L92 heads/intake, select a good cam, and be 550hp for MUCH less than the 06-07 Z06

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Sorry bud...not quite...here is the break down...

1997-2004 LS1 standard 345-350hp ratings

2001 Z06 - LS6 385hp

2002-2004 Z06 LS6 405hp

2005-current standard LS2 405hp

2006-2007 Z06 LS7 505hp

If you wanted my opinion, I would do one of two things... Either A) Buy a 2001-2004 Z06 corvette or B) by the standard 2005+ LS2 corvette. A new LS7 Z06 will run at least $65k. A used 01-04 Z06 can be found for $25-33k and a nice clean used 05+ LS2 vette can be found for under $40k now. The LS6 or LS2 would provide a solid foundation starting block for mods. I would prefer the LS2 because you could bolt on swap the L92 heads/intake, select a good cam, and be 550hp for MUCH less than the 06-07 Z06

This is good information. In the fall, I'm hoping to pick up a 2 to 3 year old Corvette, also because I probably can't swing a new one. I'll be keeping the SSS for "special occasions".

A ZR1 is an excellent alternative. You can find one in the $20k range and they cam with a dual overhead cam 375hp engine to start with. They eventually had 400hp...I dont know much about them to be honest, but I think they were produced from 1990 until 1995...maybe they made some in 1989 as well though. Aftermarket is virtually gone as they are older and extremely rare. But it is definetly for a connoisseur of corvettes...I woul dnot be embarrased to own a ZR1...one day, it will be "almost" (read not quite, but almost) like cruising in a 1967 427 Corvette or a 1969 Camaro Z28...not the baddest/fastest car on the modern road, but definetly a worth while investment.

i agree with gettign a used 01-04 vette ( they are a bit faster than the ls2's but not much) the ls2 c6 also looks better imo. and like mentioned above since its a 6.0 ( 3.622 x 4.00) you can add some nice heads and cam. but its all what you plan to do or what you will use the car for.

As I recall, the engines were built by Yamaha. I wonder how hard it is to find parts? :dunno:

Source: http://www.corvettelegends.com/zr1.htm

The 1990- 1995 ZR-1 Corvette is a modern day classic.

Back in the 80's, the on-board computers were not as

sophisticated as today's chips. The only way to increase

power output besides turbocharging, was through

multi-valve cylinder heads. The ZR-1 32 valve engine

was derived from one of GM's subsidiery holdings, Lotus.

The power output was always directly related to the

emissions level requirement and insurability factors for

each appropriate model year.

When released in 1990, the ZR-1 engine, code-named

LT-5, developed 375 net horsepower.

It was powerful enough to propel the Corvette down

the 1/4 mile in 13.3 sec @ 108 MPH

As computer technology improved, and with the help of

improved airflow and cam timing, the power output

would grow the 405 net horsepower in the last few

years of it's production run.

The increase in power resulted in 13.1 sec 1/4 miles

@ 112 MPH !!

The doors and rear fenders and rear bumper were

unique to the ZR-1.

The overall width of the body was increased in the rear

of the ZR-1 to accomodate the very large rear wheels

and tires that were necessary to handle the tremendous

power of this exciting Corvette.

17 X 11 rear wheels were used with 315/35ZR17 GS-C

Goodyear tires and 17 X 9.5 wheels were used up front

with 275/40ZR17 GC-S Goodyears.

.9 G's of cornering strength were well in grasp of even

the most timid drivers. 1 G was more the norm.

During it's production run, there were a total of four

different factory wheels used.

1991-1993

1993 40th Anniversary ZR-1

1994-1995

Besides the unique aluminum wheels, ZR-1 Corvettes

are adorned with different emblems as well.

Black lettering on light backgrouds.

Silver lettering on dark backgrounds.

Chrome 40th ZR-1 Emblem.

Even more elaborate and more powerful ZR-1's were

available, but you'll have to wait

Thanks for the info! Wow, was I way off with that Yamaha comment. (Senility at 56?). Your reply got me wondering some more. Here's what I found... "Of course, the highlight of the package was the Lotus-designed V-8; it actually was hand-assembled by Mercury Marine at its Stillwater, Okla., plant. While mostly known for boat engines, Mercury had a good reputation for precision engine building." The site where I found this was http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/.../zr1press1.html

Yup...Lotus designed 'em and Mercury built them. Mercury Marine does build fine engines. Matter of fact majority of their marine engines are hand built so it makes sense. The ZR1 was only a couple thousand units per year with I think only about 1,500 in 1995. Couldnt find production numbers quickly.

On a side note back on topic, my vote is still to go with a 01-04 Z06 if you can swing it or the LS2 05+ vette. The reason being is the ZR1 should be a collectors car, not something to mod and run ragged at the strip etc. The mod potential for the 5.7L LS6 is still pretty impressive with FAST intakes, plethora of camshaft selections, trickflow, AFR, SLP, Dart, Patriot, etc. head selections + many more. Clutches for the manual, wheel/tire combos available. nitrous, superchargers, turbos...you get the picture...An $8k STS twin turbo kit will put a 01-04 Z06 deep into the 11's. The LS2 has even mor eoptions for modding available...

Yup...Lotus designed 'em and Mercury built them. Mercury Marine does build fine engines. Matter of fact majority of their marine engines are hand built so it makes sense. The ZR1 was only a couple thousand units per year with I think only about 1,500 in 1995. Couldnt find production numbers quickly.

On a side note back on topic, my vote is still to go with a 01-04 Z06 if you can swing it or the LS2 05+ vette. The reason being is the ZR1 should be a collectors car, not something to mod and run ragged at the strip etc. The mod potential for the 5.7L LS6 is still pretty impressive with FAST intakes, plethora of camshaft selections, trickflow, AFR, SLP, Dart, Patriot, etc. head selections + many more. Clutches for the manual, wheel/tire combos available. nitrous, superchargers, turbos...you get the picture...An $8k STS twin turbo kit will put a 01-04 Z06 deep into the 11's. The LS2 has even mor eoptions for modding available...

Yeah, back on the topic, I agree with you. I'm not looking for a collector car. I'm looking for something to drive every day rather than the SSS. So, I'm not even sure if it would be a Z06. That may be a bit extreme for every day use too. Thanks!