Don't sell your truck!

AJSmyth

Alright guys well I finally had to sell my truck…Situation: I am 21 and a senior at ASU W.P. Carey, I wanted to invest in something that appreciated instead of depreciated (truck), so I bought my first house which is being built and should be finished by mid-September, the only problem is that it is 35 miles from work/school and I definitely can’t afford gas/truck payment/mortgage. So I put my baby in the Autotrader and it sold about three weeks in, I listed it for an optimistic 20k and sold it for 19,500 which is well over blue book…I only got one phone call, and that was the guy who bought it…lol, so probably a little overpriced…

I wasn’t too upset until the guy was driving it away, and I got choked up and now I am regretting it and a little depressed…but in the long run, I know it was the right decision financially right now…and maybe after I graduate I’ll be able to afford a real SS. In the meantime, I am going to get something that gets around 30mpg, any suggestions would be helpful, I really don’t want to spend more than 12-14k.

So here is one last pic, Goodbye Chevy, Hello Honda!

truck5.jpg

Neon SRT4? Turbo...but still a neon

Used Audi A4 turbo? AWD, turbo, fun to drive, not rocket ship fast...

Saab 9.3 Turbo? Very nice car and fun to drive with a manual...bmw look/feel without price tag!

Cobalt SS? Supercharged and mid 14's stock...good mpg too...

Grand Prix GTP/GTX? Supercharged, two or four door available in certain model years...quick.

98-99 LS1 camaro Z28...still will get 20mpg. high insurance though...

I was getting 20mpg with my GTX/GTP grand prix around town and 25+ on the freeway...you can have alot of fun and find one used for around 6-14k depending on year you want. Pre 03 will be way under 10k and they changed the body for 04...still GM, V6 supercharged and run high 14's form the factory, you can buy inexpensive mods for them as they already have the blower. I would look for something with forced induction.

Do you need awd?

I would say look for the Saab first, then the audi, then the neon/cobalt...There is a plethora of options available so I expect many more to chime in with other great ideas.

I'm just providing something may still allow you to have that "fun" factor in your life.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Sucks, if I did not have my truck I think my life would be pretty different. I have not regrets what so ever, but the mod bug bit me hard. You are lucky to be getting your own place at such a young age man congrats :)

I would look into a tdi jetta a older model early 2000's. They can be had for about 10,000 I think even less and they get about 40mpg.

Stick around ;)

I know what you mean about getting choked up... I had to watch my '88 V30 454 Dually drive away from me with it's new owner less than 2 days ago... I really did almost cry thinking about all the great times I had in it, and there have already been so many times where that truck would have come in handy to have... I couldn't stand getting rid of something that has never failed me before...

Although the guy who bought really underestimated the truck... He ended up doing a massive smoke show trying to scoot out into traffic, that both made me smile and shed a tear at the same time...

SOLD BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN!!!!

Edited by Rausche (see edit history)

You made the right choice but it's never easy letting go of a great ride. After you host your first bar-b-que at you new house and everybody starts talking about your great place, the pain will be eased.

that sucks man. i remember when i sold my chevelle i was so sad. then i got my truck and it all went away. i still miss it though, it was such a chick magnet, i loved that car. just wasnt practical as a daily driver

if you dont care about performance or looks, you can get a brand new hyundai for like 14k and get around 30mpg. otherwise the other members have listed some pretty good suggestions

Sorry about the truck, but congrats on the new house. No way on earth could I afford to buld a house at your age, so your lucky as hell with that one.

If I was getting a newer/used car that I wanted to actually last and get good MPG, I would by no doubt get a Honda. They make damn good qualty cars and dont lose so much value.

Please post pics of the new house, sure most here would like to see them, know I would. :)

Please post pics of the new house, sure most here would like to see them, know I would. :)

I definately will, I cant believe how fast they go up...two weeks ago it was literally dirt, and now the plumbing is done, slab is poured and the first level is framed! I also cant believe how much money I'm spending on plywood and chicken wire, lol. It's in gilbert, az and a little over 2,400 sq ft so I will have plenty of room for roommates to help pay the bills, lol. But I'll definately will post pics...I'll have no money to go out so I'll be chillin at home online with my bowl of ramen noodles, lol.

As for the car, you guys have made some great suggestions, but for some unknown reason I really am liking the 02-05 civic si, yes the ugly hatchback, of course with limo tint so noone can see me...but im going shopping this weekend so we will see what happens...